Tour du Mind

One minute she's standing in the Helicarrier conference room and then the next she's surrounded by a kaleidoscope of coruscating light. She can see every hue imaginable as the light engulfs her and she's suddenly flying. Her stomach lurches in terror at first and she gives a tiny terrified yelp before she looks around her.

Stars.

Billions of them.

Jay never though she would ever understand what a billion looked like but now she does.

It's incredibly staggering.

She can't believe her eyes. She can see the shapes of the other Avengers around her but they are only the blurred outlines next to her as she gazes into the deep abyss and wonder that is outer space. Galaxies and nebulas flash by in a dizzying waltz and she laughs aloud in sheer wonder and marvel. She wonders if this is how her dad felt about the stars. Wonder, sheer, unadulterated wonder. It probably was because Jay suddenly feels as if she could gaze into the stars for a living and never, ever get bored. It's nice to feel a sudden connection to the father she doesn't remember and she drinks it all in for him.

The light stream around her winks out of existence for a moment as they pass through some sort of portal or wormhole in space and then they burst out the other side as Jay yells in giddy glee. The constellations around her are different now, deeper somehow, as if they have an added layer of dimension. She's going to have to tell Jane all about this. Well, maybe after Jane stops being jealous that Jay got to go space traveling. Oh man, this is awesome!

Jay wiggles her fingers through the rainbow of light around her, cascading them in a wave and laughing when the light moves with her hand. She twirls herself around in a lazy circle and feels like a demented ballerina.

All too soon for Jay's tastes, she feels a pull and tug and suddenly she's slowing down rapidly and then the light beams deposit her on to a brass floor. She turns to watch the Bifrost close behind her in a ball of energy and shimmering light and can't wipe the happy, giddy smile off her face. She turns to Thor, who is smiling at her and seems completely unaffected by the journey. "We have to do that again!" Her eyes are bright and full of happiness and it gladdens Thor to see her so ecstatic for once.

She hears a groan behind her and sees Steve, with his hands on his knees, looking like he's going to throw up. "Not again," he grumbles sickly. "Never again." Everyone else seems a little shaken but definitely okay, nowhere near as sick as Steve looks.

Tony claps Steve on the back with a hearty, "No worries, Spangles, you'll learn to love it," which causes Steve to inflate his cheeks comically as if he's about to lose his lunch. Jay smothers a giggle behind her hands but it manages to escape and Steve gives her a dirty look.

"Welcome to Asgard," Comes a deep voice from behind them. In all the excitement of their arrival, Jay hadn't noticed there was someone else in the room with them. In fact, she really didn't notice much about her surroundings. She turns in awe at the cavernous room, the walls covered in dials, all of it burnished gold. The floor seems to vibrate under her feet, made of some kind of weird outer space rock that looks crystalline but glows with all the dazzling hues of the Bifrost. There is a dais in the middle, emanating light and on top, stands one of the largest men that Jay has ever seen.

The man is tall and imposing and dressed to the teeth for battle. Battle with what, she doesn't know but he looks just about ready for anything. His hands are clenched around the hilt of a giant broadsword, probably as tall as she is and he is slowly removing it from a slot in the middle of the dais as she gapes. His head is topped with a golden helmet that reminds her vaguely of a ram's head although she's not sure if that's what it's supposed to be.