Up and Out

"I think you missed the turn," Tony says.

Loki ignores him as they weave through the intricate hallways of the palace on Asgard. Jay flops like a doll in Tony's arms, only semi-conscious. Every once in a while she makes an attempt to get down but Tony just tightens his grip when she does. He very much doubts Jay could support herself on two legs right now, let alone run.

There is a crash behind them and Stark looks worriedly behind them. "We're not going to outrun them like this," he says to Loki, who looks at Jay's hazy eyes. Loki covers the space between them in a couple of strides and takes Jay's shoulder. He whispers some words in a strange language under his breath. Her eyes shoot open and Tony sees a flash of green light – magic – cross her vision. Disturbed by what this means, Tony gently sets Jay down. He is surprised to see her stand firm and that the bruises and cuts that had patterned her skin have disappeared. Her face is clear, no longer tight with pain.

She looks at Loki in shock. "What did you do to me?"

"You are more of an asset in good health," Loki says dismissively, clearly stating that he only healed her to his benefit. The look she gives him is highly critical and Tony can tell she thinks there is more to it. "Can we move along now?" Loki asks cynically.

"After you, Horns," Jay snaps and Tony grins.

"I told you not to read into things," Loki tells her and then takes off down the hall at a run.

Jay scowls and takes off after him, Tony clanking in his boots behind her before taking off to fly at their side. The muscles in her legs lengthen and stretch with no trace of soreness and unbidden she feels a grin spreading across her face. She hasn't felt this good in a long time. Her legs pound around the corner and she catches up to Loki, now only a pace or two behind him. Her lungs swell with air and she feels explosive as the air zooms in and out of her body in forceful breaths. This feels good.

The sound of shattering stone jars her out of her self-gratifying reverie.

Tony flies alongside them as Jay and Loki sprint through the palace. "Where are we going, Prince of Darkness?" Stark asks as they burst out the main palace doorway and into the citadel. "I've got multiple creature-thingys on my radar, approaching far too quickly for my liking."

"Goblins," Loki pants as they round a corner into a crowded market place. Iron Man's helmet swivels to give the god a deadpan look. "Goblins and trolls," Loki elaborates as they crash through market stalls. Fabric and expensive cloth fly upwards in the breeze created by their passing. Loki vaults a cart that is crossing the walkway and Tony zips overhead. Vendors back hurriedly out of the way as they crash through, a motley crew of supernaturals. Jay stumbles, curses her clumsiness, and the cart corner clips her hip. Great, she just got rid of all of her bruises. Loki shoots her a scathing look and she gives an exasperated "what?!"

"Where are they from?" Jay asks as they fly past shocked stall owners. Snarling goblins topple the cart behind them and Jay risks a glance back. Fruits and vegetables explode outward as slobbering creatures from myth chase her. Her heart pumps hard in her throat and Loki snatches her wrist tightly and pulls her forward.

"Keep moving!" he snarls and nearly pulls her arm from her socket as they take a sharp corner. Squeals and grunts break out behind them as goblins gurgle and trolls snort. Jay looks back again and Loki yanks her forward.

"We need to help those people," she says with a gasp as Loki pulls her forward with greater-than-human strength.

"They don't matter," Loki bites out and Jay looks at him in horror. "Those goblins and trolls are after you," he says punctuating his point by twisting her wrist.