Chapter 3 - Saving People, Hunting Things,-...Oh, wait. Wrong.

While I was driving along the road I made the decision to make my wings visible to demons, but only to them. Since I was able to choose who is able to see them I wanted them to be hidden for humans and other angels - I still didn't need them to know that I still got my wings.

After almost 2 hours I made a stop in Easton. My car was running out of fuel and it seemed like a great place to find some demons.
I parked my car in front of a hotel. It was old and some of the plaster on the walls was fallen off at some spots, but it was the first hotel I saw at this city so I decided to stay.

I walked inside to the reception with my bag in my hand, my sword had to wait in my car. The old man at the reception was sitting on a high leather chair and the bits and pieces of his hair which hadn't come out yet were as white as snow. He looked up from his newspaper and nudged his glasses back in position.

"Welcome at the Marinde's. How can I help you?" The man asked with a croaky voice.

I put my bag down in front of the counter and leaned my hands on the wood. "I'd like a room for a night, if there's still one free." I replied, knowing that there would be a lot of free rooms due to the looks of the building but I intended to be nice.

"Of course. Of course." He said excited and got up from his chair. The receptionist walked to the wall at the back of his working area and grabbed a key with the number 25 on it. When he went back to the counter he held the key to me with a smile and added "Pay when you check out. Oh, and enjoy your stay."

"Thank you." I replied while taking the key. I picked up my bag and walked upstairs in the first storey to the room with the number 25. The hallway floor was made of dark wood which was old and completely scratched while half of the walls were plastered with a red wallpaper and the rest remained white. The wooden doors fit the floor and the lusters shined in a weak light that gave the whole hotel a mystical flair. When I entered the room I found a bed, a wardrobe and an old TV inside, not to forget a door to the bathroom.

Not long after I entered the room my bag already landed on the floor and I jumped in the bed, making it squeak silently. I switched on the TV with the remote from the nightstand and watched the news.
There had been several reports about terrorism, war and accidents. All day long you almost only heard bad news on TV or the radio but I heard even more - human beings always forget that I hear their prayers too. I might be a fallen angel and they even think I am the devil but after all I'm an angel.

I can hear when they feel bad and what they wish for just like every other angel. No matter if we got our wings or not, every angel will always be able to hear prayers.
Normally we'd only hear them when we want to listen but sometimes, when a prayer is addressed to a specific angel and not to god, then we couldn't not listen.

After the news were done I hit the red button of the remote and moved out of the bed. I left the hotel to look for demons and crossed the street to a pub I had seen earlier when I arrived. It only seemed logically that a demon could be a hanging out with a lot of drunk people who are willing to ruin their lives.

The smell of alcohol and cigarettes hit me as soon as I opened the door to the building and some of the guest gave me strange looks. There was nothing left but to ignore them and continue my plan, so I sat down on a chair at the bar and ordered a beer, trying to blend in with the crowd.
While sipping my drink I watched the people and tried to see someone behaving differently but they all seemed pretty normal. A few were playing billiard, some were chatting and others had the courage to dance - and everyone was drinking.

After about 45 minutes of sipping on the same glass of beer the bartender walked to me with a face like thunder and his bulky arms were crossed in front of his chest "You know, we don't have strangers here really often, but I see when one of them is a pervert who is just here to watch the girls and later jerk of in a dark corner of his room. So, I'm just going to say this one time, leave my bar."

"What? No! You don't understand. I'm not here to-...I wouldn't-..." The glance of the man immediately made me shut up again. Quickly I swallow the rest of my beer and left the pub without looking at the barkeeper again. I tried to avoid a fight, which I easily would have won, because didn't want a lot of attention and beating up a man two heads taller than me usually causes a lot of attention.

I want back to the hotel for the night where I decided for myself that no demons were at the pub and that I had to look somewhere else for them. The only problem was that I had absolutely no clue where demons usually waste their time. A pub or a strip club were the only places where I could picture them, but the pub was already a flop and I didn't see a strip club here so far. As a consequence, I decided to stay until the next day and drive to the next city after I had breakfast at any restaurant nearby.