Chapter 4

"Annika, come here please."

Annika Calhoun started off as Lucious' assistant, but she wanted more than that. She wanted to be with him. And she wanted to run the company. That's why she never came to work without waking up two hours earlier to dress the part and show up to the office before her boss knew he needed her. And that's how she ended up dating him for the past two years, and becoming the Head of A&R.

The woman walked in, red body-con dress just above her knee and black open-toed Choos on her feet. A seductive smile accompanied her dark eyes. "Yes, Mr. Lyon."

Lucious made no attempt to hide the way he was gawking over Annika's body. Her nice curves and toned ass had the father Lyon's attention at all times. Not to mention the way his name rolled smoothly off the woman's tongue like caramel.

"Did you dress like that for me?" Lucious rose from his chair, beckoning Anika over with his eyes. She threw her arms around his neck.

"Sorry, baby, but I dressed this way for the meeting I have with Veronica Bozeman's manager, Gordon Til. He needs a bit of persuading to let her come to Empire."

A roguish expression painted Lucious' face. "Well, I hope there won't be too much persuading done, seeing as though we still have dinner arrangements tonight." A seductive smile accompanied her dark eyes.

"Of course not, Mr. Lyon." Lucious winked before locking lips with the woman, his hands sliding from her hips down to grab her ass.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Laylah. Just be honest, did I make you uncomfortable by saying what I did?"

I shook my head. James and I had taken to sitting on a bench outside of my condo building. Every time he spoke to me I would just shake my head, refusing to let what he said sink in.

"You don't like me, James. You're  misinterpreting your feelings."

He scoffed. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means... That you are confusing your excitement about becoming famous with having feelings towards me." I got to my feet. "And it's completely understandable. And I am willing to let this all go over my head if you do." I reached my hand out for his, but he just looked up at me.

Taking my hand so that he was holding only the tips, he brought them to his lips. "If you don't like me, that's all you had to say." He stood, releasing my hand. "Farewell, then."

I'm going to regret this. "Wait, James." He stopped, looking over his shoulder hopefully. "It's not that I don't like. It's just. It's a lot. I haven't dated someone in years and more importantly than that-"

"I'm an artist." He finished.

You're from Creedmoor, I corrected internally. "Something like that."

"Here's a deal. Let me take you to dinner tonight. If you truly cannot stand a moment around me, then I will never ask again and I will promise to forget this entire thing ever happened." His hand reached out for mine.

I stared questioningly from his hand to the handsome face it belonged to. I sighed deeply before taking his hand. "Deal."