Chapter 10

We ended our group dinner a good hour after both men came back to the table. Anika and I had a considerably long conversation filled with her asking questions about my past relationship with Lucious. I could tell she was one of the jealous types- makes sense. After we paid our bill, James walked out beside Anika because he wanted to talk to her about Empire's rising popularity. That left Lucious and I straggling in the back. We didn't speak much, but I could feel him taking side glances between me and James.

When we got outside, James wrapped my arm around his while Anika tangled her own into Lucious'.

"You two come by Empire sometime." Anika hugged me tightly.

"Ha, yes, I'm sure Beretti would take well me to visiting the illustrious company of an artist he once managed." James' comment genuinely made us all laugh because he was serious. One bad move and I'm sure Beretti would cut him off. "It was truly a pleasure to meet you both."

Lucious shook James' hand then continued to hold my hand to his lips. "I'll see you around I'm sure."
---------------------------------------------------------------
Not enough time in the world would have prepared Jamal for what was about to happen. As he sat cuddling into Michael, his boyfriend, a blaring female voice came from his security camera.

"Jamal, open this damn door!!!"

Leaping off the couch and heading straight for the device, he looked into the camera to see the woman he assumed would not be returning for 10 more years. Quickly beeping open the door, Jamal became blind to the questions Michael was throwing at him as he was rushing to clean the loft up.

"Mom!!!" Jamal practically jumped into the woman's arms as the elevator gate opened.

"Baby!" Cookie Lyon returned the hug, holding Jamal as though it were the last time she was ever going to see him. "Ooo! And you must be his little Mexican girlfriend," she laughed, pinching Michael's cheek.

Michael's smile filled his face, surprised that at least one of Jamal's parents weren't a complete ignorant asshole.

"Ooo! Is that chicken I smile?!" Cookie hurried to the kitchen, her large fluffy white jacket swaying behind her as she ran. Jamal couldn't help but laugh at the scene.

"Mom, what are you wearing?" He tried to hide his laughter, but failed once the mother Lyon opened the pot of chicken and began devouring the food.

"The same outfit I wore when I went to jail," she answered as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Anyways, where's your father? I need to talk to his ass."

Michael hissed at the mention of Lucious. "Not sure why he would be one of the first people you would want to see after 17 years of freedom from him."

Jamal shot Michael a glare, but Cookie brushed it away. "Dont be glarin' at him, Mal, he right. But don't you worry yalls pretty little heads, Mama is just comin' to get half of the company that is entitled to her."

"Um, not looking like that you're not." Jamal pointed out the leopard print romper she was wearing underneath her coat. "We are gonna take you shopping, then you can see dad."