Chapter 7

I had never been to Daniel's, but I had heard of how gorgeous it was numerous times. That still did not decrease the amount of surprise I felt when James' escorted me into the building. It was not one of those places with a million chandeliers dangling from every available space on the ceiling, though it did have it's fair share of light fixtures. It was much more modern. Paintings of faces hung on walls, large assortments of flowers and ti leaves were set on counters, and laughter and chatter of those sitting at white-clothed tables were just audible over the light piano music they had playing in the background.

The restaurant attendant greeted James as though the two had been best friends since childhood. I assumed it was either because James came here regularly, or because the attendant was a fan. It turned out he was both- and he was also the owner.

"I will seat you and your beautiful date right over here." When we arrived at our seats in the corner of the main room, I turned to thank the waitperson. However, the comment seemed to go over his head because he just looked at me with amazement in his eyes. "Oh my goodness. Not only do we have James Norman, but we have the remarkable Ms. Blake." He pulled my chair out for me, and as I sat he took my hand in his, bowing as he held it. "Can I just say what a civl service you have done."

"Please, you don't have to do that." An artificial laugh escaped my mouth. There were guests starting to look and I didn't want people coming over to acknowledge me.

Thankfully, James seemed to see my distress. He tried to divert the man's attention, but his attempt was halted when a too-charming voice added to the commotion.

"Well, if it isn't Ms. Laylah Blake."

I felt my stomach drop. Deep airy breaths pushed their way from my lips, but I followed the voice to a couple making their way to us. The attendant rose from where he was kneeling, astonished once again by the customers his restaurant pulled in. James had to snap the owner out of the trance he had fallen into, and had a waitress escort him to get water. Then we both rose to greet our unexpected company.

"Lucious Lyon, what an honor." Lucious shook James' hand, surprisingly with a smile on his face.

"Please, call me Lucious."

James smiled at this comment before greeting Lucious' date. "And you must be his beautiful wife."

The woman laughed, taking the hand offered to her by James who brushed them against his lips. She was wearing a tight black dress, a gold necklace resting perfectly over her collar bone. She looked like a wannabe Halle Berry. "Not wife, yet at least.I am Anika Calhoun, Head of A&R at Empire. And, happily dating Mr. Lyon." She kissed Lucious after saying this.

"Well, I am James Norman. And this is my amazingly beautiful and intelligent date, Laylah Blake. But it appears you already know her." I took Anika's outstretched hand.

"What you did was amazing." She smiled.

I shook my head, again. "No, honestly-"

"She's right. It was amazing." Lucious cut-in. I felt his eyes travel from my feet up to the diamond earrings. "Why don't we dine together?" Lucious said this while looking directly at me.

When I snapped out of it I didn't have a choice to reject the offer. He already had a waitress bring their belongings to our table. He sat directly across from me, and for the first time that night, I took in his entire presence. He was fancily dressed in a tan tailored suit with a maroon shirt underneath. His face was the same, maybe a bit chubbier than it was five years ago. Those were the only notable differences that I could register at the moment.

A server came to the table after we were completely situated to take our orders. Everyone had picked some fancily named dish, but I was no longer in the mood to eat. "And may I get you all something to drink?"

"I think water will be fine." James and Lucious agreed with Anika's request.

"And what beverage would you like, Ms. Blake?"

"Can I have a glass of wine?" I could tell that my date was starting to get concerned for me, because he started asking me if I was okay or if I needed anything.

Anika set a napkin on her lap before looking at me. "So, how do you and Lucious know each other? You weren't a couple were you?" Her and James shared in laughter while Lucious smirked at me.

Wow, she got straight to it. "Sorry, give a me a second. Waitress!" The woman who had been helping us returned to my side. "Can you forget the cup of wine, please?"

"Are you sure?" She asked, crossing it off her notepad.

"Yes, don't waste your time putting it in a glass. Just bring the bottle instead."