Chapter 6

"Damn, Lay. I have not seen you dress like that for a while." Chloe came up behind me from where I was staring at my reflection.

I let her pick out my outfit since I had been a bit rusty on the entire dating getup. Chloe had searched through my entire closet until she found the red one shoulder dress I hadn't worn in years. It still fit like a glove and accentuated the parts of a female that were the most physically attractive. On my feet were my black, pointed Valentino's that I wore to persuade people into giving me evidence I needed. My hair was down in curls, and Chloe successfully did my makeup. I had to admit I liked what my reflection was showing me. I hadn't seen this Laylah Blake in a while.

Three loud knocks came through the front door.

Chloe gave me a once over before hollering that she was coming. "I'll let him in. You can finish putting on the earrings I picked out for you. It's on the bed."

I went over to the mattress, almost gasping when I looked at what she chose. Opening the black box, I stared at the diamond earrings.

*Flashback*
"Absolutely flawless." I turned to where Lucious was leaning against the door frame in our apartment. He was nicely suited in a tuxedo that Vernon let him borrow for the night. We were going to publicize the idea of Empire at an artist's party. "You're just missing one thing."

"And what would that be?" I asked, wrapping my arms lovingly around his neck.

"Other than a crown," he smirked. "You're missing these."

Lucious pulled out a black box from his pocket. I felt my heart almost leap out of my chest when I saw it. But I recollected myself, mostly, when he opened it to reveal the most beautiful and expensive looking diamond earrings I had ever seen. It wasn't a wedding ring, but it was still a sweet gesture.

"Oh my- Lucious." Tears filled my eyes as I looked from them to him.

He wiped the tears from the corners of my eyes. "Try them on."

I smiled before taking them from his hand, leaning up to kiss him on the cheek. He followed me to the mirror to watch me put them on.

"You look beautiful, babe." He touched his forehead against mine. "I love you, Laylah. You know that?"

I pulled his lips to mine, kissing him deeply as my hands caressed the back of his head. "I love you too, Lucious."

*Present Day*

"He's waiting in the living room. What? Why haven't you put the earrings on yet?"

"I just feel like it's too much. I'm going to settle for just some silver studs." I turned to go back into my closet, but not before Chloe stopped me.

Opening my hand, she put the box back into my hand. "Put them on. And hurry. James looks hot and I might end up snatching him for myself."

I sighed. It was already 6:20 and the restaurant was a good 30min drive. There was no time to argue. I returned to the mirror to put the earrings on. An ache filled my chest and I was sure it was the guilt eating me alive.

I took a deep breath before walking down the hall into the living room. James' attention was focused on the numerous picture frames above my fireplace. I hated to admit it but Chloe was right, James looked so classy it was hot. He was dressed in a gray suit, with a navy blue tie; his shoes were brown Prescott's that contrasted his outfit, his hair brushed forward. I watched as he picked up a picture of me out on Lake Oneida with a baby in my lap. It was Hakeem, but it wasn't like James would recognize him.

"You look snazzy."

James' quickly replaced the picture, his eyes never turning away from me as he did so. Instead, his eyes widened, and he shook his head as though he were at a loss for words.

"Wow. You look- beautiful." He picked up a bouquet of roses I didn't even notice were resting on the coffee table. "These are for you." He handed them to me and as I reached my hand to grab them, he took my hand in his and touched it to his lips.

Heat touched my cheeks, and I simply smiled at him as he truly gave me the roses. "Thank you, James. They smell wonderful." I could feel his eyes continuously staring at me when I looked down at the flowers.

"Okay, I'll take those." We both looked shocked to see Chloe, even though she had been there the entire time. "And you two need to go if you're going to make it on time."

"Chloe's right. The valet is waiting out front." James shook my best friend's hand before holding the door open for me. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Chloe."

I grabbed my handbag from the the coat rack alongside my black peacoat. I hugged Chloe, thanking her for helping me out.

"Love you, be safe. James." The musician looked over to where Chloe was staring at him. "You better take care of her."

I shimmied past him, as he nodded at Chloe. "You have my word."