Secrets and Lies

Reincarnation

Chapter 9:

Summer 2012

Ciel looked around nervously for a second to ascertain that he was definitely alone. The last thing he needed right now was for someone to walk in and discover what he was doing.

I'm alone, Ciel told himself. He turned the tiny key anticlockwise and the floor tile next to it began to slide away and revealed a set of puzzle pieces with a note lying on top.

Ciel picked up the note and his eyes widened as he read it.

"To the one that solved my riddle and found the key, the end is in sight, but only just. Assemble the puzzle pieces before the time runs out and the route to my secrets is lost forever."

Ciel glanced back down at the floor and noticed that the puzzle pieces were slowly sinking down into the floor.

"Shit!" he cursed and picked them all up to find the corner and edge pieces. Ciel swore again when he realised how small the pieces were and that they were all varying shades of white.

After two minutes of rapid assembling, Ciel dropped the last piece in to complete the picture which was a white rose. He sighed in relief then he frowned when the floor tile next to it slid across to reveal a chessboard with twenty four pieces left on it; twelve white and twelve black and another note lying on top of it. He picked it up and read it in annoyance. How many puzzles would he have to complete?

"You are nearly there.

Simply play as black and checkmate the white king in one move. There is no time limit."

After reading Ciel groaned. He hadn't played chess since he had started secondary school-the chess club there was full of chess obsessed boys that took the game too seriously, so he chess skills were quite rusty.

Analytically, he stared down at the chessboard and considered all of his possible moves. Using pawns was out of the question, the rooks were in the wrong positions and the queen was trapped. That left the knight which four rows away from the white king.

So he picked up the black knight and placed him on a square that was three spaces forward and one to the right. As he moved the knight he noted that it looked a little beaten up with slash marks where the paint had been chipped off. There was a clicking sound as he placed the knight on the designated square and the floor slid out from under him.

For a moment he felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole to wonderland. Then he landed on something soft with a thump. He looked up and to see how far he had fallen and spotted that it was only a few metres as he could still see the light from the library. He felt under him and realised that he had landed on a cushion.

He stood up and examined his surroundings. It was a very small room, three metres by three metres. He guessed it was only intended as a hiding place and not an actual secret room. Ciel spotted a stack of something in the corner and walked over to it to get a closer look.

It was a stack of leather bound journals with a ring lying on top. He held the ring up to the light and it glinted blue.

Present day

Sebastian examined the chess piece that he had been given carefully in the kitchen. He scrutinised the scratches and a pang of despair hit him. Had his former master really hated him that much?

His master had always been one to refer to him as being a knight on a chessboard so he knew that it represented him, but he didn't know why he had left behind a riddle to lead to the chess piece. It didn't make sense.