A New Beginning?

Reincarnation

Chapter 18:

Sebastian paused in the act of throwing a set of knives at Ronald Knox. Under his left arm Ciel Phantomhive perked up. Propositions were his area of expertise, not fights. His butler had already done several cartwheels whilst fighting which were making him feel nauseous.

"Sebastian, stand down and let go of me," he ordered and once he had his feet on the floor he smiled at the trio of Grim Reapers; Grell had Sebastian's shoeprint imprinted on his face and Ronald's death scythe had a 50 piece cutlery set stuck in it like a dartboard. "Have you all decided that you can't win against me?"

There was a brief silence as the two battle weary reapers glanced at the superior for permission to reply to the insult. Will glared at them. He had only chosen to work with them as he had plenty of compromising information on them so if they betrayed him he would be able to retaliate to keep them quiet, but this was mostly aimed at Grell who always strayed from the right path. The disadvantage of pairing up with them had been that they were prone to fighting before thinking.

"For now, yes, but remember Phantomhive, it's only because of us that you gained this opportunity to possess a body. If it were not for us, you would just be fragments of a soul."

Ciel raised an eyebrow. "I take it that you are about to ask me for something in return for your gratuitous service to the Phantomhive family."

At his side Sebastian tensed ever so slightly. Now that he knew that the Grim Reapers had been after him all along, he guessed that Will's proposition involved him somewhere. He didn't want to be separated from the human Earl Ciel Phantomhive that had only just returned.

"If you haven't already guessed, the Grim Reapers are planning to launch a war on demons so they stop indiscriminately devouring souls that we need to judge and collect. We were originally going to use Michaelis to turn other demons onto our side and act as a spy whilst the other Ciel Phantomhive's soul was contracted to him, but since you have thwarted us we have no choice but to enter the war without any demon assistance."

"What do you want from me?" Ciel asked simply, completely unperturbed by Will's monologue.

"Whilst we are fighting we will be a little short handed at the Grim Reaper Dispatch Society so it would be useful if you could make sure that no demons steal souls at places where a large number of souls are due to be judged, that is all. If you are interested I will give you a list."

The teenage Earl considered the proposition carefully. A little excitement in his life once in a while would be good as sometimes the status quo became too tedious. He still wasn't sure whether or not he would take his descendant's identity and live with his butler at his side, finishing school, college and university, eventually succeeding Vincent Phantomhive the second and taking over the company which was something he wouldn't have been able to do in his old life. That said, being privy to future events was interesting...

"What do you think, Sebastian? It is your life as well," Ciel turned to Sebastian, wanting to hear his opinion.

"Your wish is my command. After all, I am just one hell of a butler."

Ciel rolled his eyes. "I do not know if this is just the influence of my descendant's modern memories, but could you please tell me what you are really thinking. That poker face gets annoying to look at!"

Momentarily Sebastian's eyes widened in surprise as he digested the statement. After a moment he rested his hand on the boy's shoulder and spun his round so they were face to face and inhaled the succulent scent of Ciel Phantomhive's soul.