Between the Right and the Real

“So what you’re saying is,” I took a deep breath through my nose and sat back, “that if I move this here, I carry the two and I get the same answer?”

I drew it out as I asked. I looked up at my tutor and he nodded.

“Exactly!” He smiled at me. “See you’re getting—”

“I still have no freaking clue what you’re talking about.” My eyes closed and my chin fell onto my chest. “This isn’t worth it! I’ve been being good, but unless my grades go up I go to juvie. They think I’m not trying.”

“Hey, your History and Biology grades have gone up.” His hand brought my chin back up. “They know you’re trying. They just want you to show your full potential.”

“No they don’t know I’m trying! I met with the judge and he said unless my English and Calculus grades go up I’m going to juvie for eight months before they—”

“When did you meet with Judge Jones?” His eyebrows furrowed and his voice grew curious. “I thought you weren’t supposed to go back to court until the second.”

“He picked me up for lunch like two days ago. Why does it matter?”

“Because unless you’re in a courtroom it’s inappropriate to meet with him!”

“Awe, are you jealous?” I teased him.

“Did he try to make a move on you?” His tone was serious now.

“If he had I would have told you.” I replied moodily. I hated lying to Andy, especially knowing I’d probably have to do what I had to tell him next if I didn’t want to be tried as an adult in eight months. “I’m not so stupid as to hide something like that. But if sleeping with him got me out of this, I would.”

“Don’t say that. You’re smart, you’ll figure a way to convince them you didn’t do it.”

His reassurance wasn’t helping in the slightest. It actually made me feel worse about even thinking about taking the judges offer. Instead of letting on though, I gave him a small smile. He patted my back a few times and chuckled.

“It’s three,” I pointed to the clock on the wall next to us, “can I go? I have to meet someone.”

“Sure Emily, have fun.”

“Thanks Andy!” I grabbed my notebook along with my textbook and stuffed them in my bag.

“Before you leave, who are you meeting?” he asked, grabbing my arm so I couldn't run off.

“I’m just meeting Charlie at the mall.” I sighed. “I’m still allowed to do that right?”

“Charlie…?”

“The same Charlie who likes to hit on you even though you’re clearly too old for her.” I assured him. I didn’t want him thinking I was rendezvousing with some paramour.

“Have fun then. And tell her I say hi.” He released my arm and let me go.

“Okay, see you tomorrow Andy!” I waved to him once before running out of the library, barely hearing the old librarian yell at me not to run. It wasn’t until I went to grab my skateboard that I realized I’d left it in the library. Knowing Andy he’d pick it up and give it to me tomorrow.

Since I couldn't skateboard I decided I’d run to meet Charlie instead. I smirked to myself as various elderly people yelled at me not to watch where I was going and younger adults shot me annoyed glares. I slowed down when I saw a group of boys fighting up ahead. My first initial thought was wondering why no one was breaking it up. Then I thought of the By-stander Effect. It made sense.