Between the Right and the Real part 6

As it turned out my food poisoning lasted three days, and I had to be taken to the hospital. It was several days later and I was still receiving apology texts from Hanley. I told him about Andy and I, and he responded by telling me he knew we’d end up together anyway.

When I finally returned to school I turned in all my makeup work within three days, making the teachers that usually hated me a little warmer. The thought pissed me off a bit, but I ignored it for the most part.

When lunch came around my dad picked me up from school and we went out to eat. He asked me about Andy and I told him that we were just friends. I could tell he didn’t believe me, but he left the subject alone. When he dropped me back off at school he told me that he was going to come over that night and we would start looking for a new place together. I called Andy as he drove away and made sure it was okay.

When school ended I evaded Charlie and Hanley and ran out of the school, spotting Andy waiting for me. I ran to him, engulfing him in a hug.

“Miss me?” he chuckled.

“Just happy to see you.” I smiled up at him.

“Well lets go. Your dad decided to leave work early today. He’s been drilling me about you all day.”

“All day?” I asked, puzzled. “You took the day off?”

“Yeah. I went to the police station.”

“Why?”

“They asked me to come back today. They still had some questions. They should question you in a few days. ” The way he spoke so casually about it scared me. But a part of his job had to do a lot with the police and the court system. It was just natural to him.

“Okay.”

“I’ll be there with you. Don’t worry Emily, everything will be okay. I promise.” He put an arm around me and kissed the top of my head as we walked up the stairs. “Now I need you to promise me something.”

“Okay….” The tension and desperation in his voice startled me.

“Promise me you’ll make your father leave me alone.”

I let out a short burst of laughter and pushed the door open, running to my dad and hugging him. “Daddy leave Andy alone!”

“I wasn’t bothering him.” My dad tried to sound innocent.

“Liar.” Andy muttered behind us.

“Watch who you call a liar, boy.”

“If you two are going to fight, then I’m leaving.” I started walking towards Andy’s room when I felt someone pull me back and into them. From the smell of cologne it was Andy

“Okay, we won’t fight.” The words rumbled in his chest. I couldn't help but let a smile settle on my face. I turned around to look at him and my smile grew wider.

“So I was looking at some places I thought you might like.” My dad fought to get my attention. “I printed them out for you to look at.”

I rolled my eyes and joined my father by the counter and took the papers from his hand. After looking them over carefully I selected one and hand it to him. The look on his face told me he knew exactly where it was located. I smiled at him and held in my laughter.

“What is it?” Andy took the paper from my dad’s hand. “I think this would be a great place for you to live.”

“Me too!” I let my laughter out. “Don’t you agree Dad?”

“No, no I don’t.”

I laughed harder at my dad’s grumpy face and put the paper down. The apartment being advertised on it was the apartment right next to Andy’s.

Two weeks later my dad and I finished unpacking the boxes. He left to go throw the boxes in the complex’s dumpster. An arm found its way around my waist and pulled me back into a hard body.

“I thought I’d come over and introduce myself. You know, with you being new to the complex and all.”

I giggled as his hot breath tickled my ear. “Well thank you. It’s been such a hard move.”

“This is why I didn’t want to move here. Get your hands off my daughter.” Andy and I both broke out into laughter as he let me go. My father let out a disgruntled sigh and closed the door. “I take it you’re staying for dinner?”

“Only if it’s okay with you, sir.” Andy replied.

Awe! You’re such a gentleman when you’re trying to win someone over.” I gasped dramatically. “Am I going to catch you trying to ask him out or something? Sorry Andy, I’m just not into that.”

“What? That’s so gross!” Andy’s face contorted into disgust. “Why’d you have to put that image into my head?”

“What image?” My words were innocent. “I just asked if you were going to try to ask out my daddy.”

“God damn it Emily would you stop saying that?” My father exploded.

“It’s not like he’s going to do it.” I rolled my eyes at my dad before peeking back at Andy. “Right?”

“Emily!” My dad said warningly.

“Okay, okay, I’ll stop.”

Andy kissed me and joined my dad in the kitchen, pulling me along with him. Ever since we’d convinced my dad to move here Andy had been helping with cooking dinner every night. It’d become our nightly ritual, and even though he’d never admit it, my dad loved having something familiar to look forward to when he came home.

I smiled at the scene before me. Andy was cutting up vegetables and my dad was swooshing butter around in a heated pan. I had no idea what my future held from that moment on, but I hoped there would be nights like this for years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so super short, crappy ending. Oh well. This wasn't meant to be long, hence it being in the short story category. This was a random spur of the moment thing because I needed a break from my other story. If you haven't checked it out, then go do it. It's not great or anything but nothing I put on here will be because they're not my serious works.