Between the Right and the Real part 2

“Where are we?” I noticed we weren’t headed towards Charlie’s. Instead, we were headed in the complete opposite direction.

“We’re going to my apartment. I thought about what you said. You’re right; it’s not a smart idea to go where your brother can find you.” He nodded his head. “But I do have to call this in. You know that right?”

“I know.”

“Your brother’s going to be taken into custody. Your father will be told what's going on, and CPS will have to do a thorough investigation.”

“I’m going to be put in foster care. My dad isn’t around enough to be considered a parent by the government.”

“You don’t know that. But the good news is that this could make the court give you a lie detector test.”

“Do you really think they’ll do that?” I asked with a smile.

“I filmed some of what happened before he kissed you. He’ll be put in jail, and since you’re still underage he’ll have to register as a pedophile. They’ll take everything you’ve said so far into consideration and yes, I do believe they’ll give you a lie detector test.”

“Why were you over anyway?” I asked, the thought suddenly springing to me.

“I wanted to give you your skateboard back before tomorrow.”

“Thanks.”

He pulled into a parking lot and into a parking space.

“My place is kind of cramped with my roommates girlfriend living with us, but we’ll make some room for you, okay?”

“Yeah. And Andy, I’m fine. Really. I just want to be somewhere safe.” He helped me drag my bags up the stairs to his apartment but didn’t go in yet.

“No more lies right?”

“That was the only one I’ve ever told you. And some little white ones about where Charlie and I were going to be.”

“So teenage lies,” He chuckled deeply. “But nothing major.”

“Nothing major!” I assured him.

“Let’s go.” He pushed the door open and stepped inside. I followed him willingly, grateful to get out of the crisp air. “Duke this is Emily, Emily this is Duke.”

I looked over to the man on a sports recliner. He waved at me before turning his eyes back to Andy, whom I decided to follow around like a lost puppy until I was more comfortable here.

“Finally get a girl to believe you didn’t still live with your mommy?” Duke teased him, pushing some of his black hair out of his brown eyes.

“No. This is the Emily I tutor every day.”

“So only jailbait over there believes you don’t live with—did you bring home pizza? Alright!” he jumped up from the recliner and ran over, grabbing the piece of pizza in my hand. I snatched it back and picked up the whole box, kicking him in the leg, and moving it to another part of the counter.

“Don’t touch my pizza.”

“Dude you kicked me!”

“Dude you touched my pizza!”

Duke started laughing. “I like her.”

“If you want to have sex ever again don’t get any funny idea’s Duke.” I looked over to see a tall girl with brown hair and blue eyes playfully glaring at him. She switched her gaze to me and grinned. “I’m Natalie.”