Chapter 5 - In His Image

One of the ways to discover our real purpose, is to go back and revisit how we were made, in the beginning. As of now, we have no real reason why God created us in His image, we can take a look at the Old Testament and look for a passage revealing why he created us in the first place, we may not; Or we may check the New Testament and look for answers, either way, there is no direct and clear purpose for our creation. Hold on a second, I think we can disect it out, we can actually feel for ourselves and discover why he made us, by looking at how we were made!

Genesis 1:27 NIV
So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

First, to recall the previous chapter, we discussed that God's true purpose for mankind was revealed through the bible, yet it was emphasized strongly through blood and sweat, through the life and crucifixion of Jesus Christ, that our true purpose was to serve and love God, at the same time to serve and love others as well, even Christ himself said that through his greatest commandments.

Matthew 22:37-40 NIV
Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Even in Moses' Ten Commandments the first 4 were about serving and loving God, the rest was about our neighbours (Exodus 20). This is the and only purpose God designed us for, and what is even more beautiful, is that this very purpose, comes directly from God himself. As Christ walked on earth, he depicted what was truly different among men, a perfect expression of God himself, loving, obedient, compassionate, giving, pure, etc., and this is because God himself possesses these beautiful qualities as well, as you venture through you discover God's true nature, in spite of our sinful nature, he was the kind who would never leave or forsake, and whose love could never be described, although He was full of wrath, it was God's way to discipline His children, (Hebrews 12:6 "because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son."). He made us in His image, so that we could possess His beautiful quality of servanthood and love, and He reminds mankind their true purpose everyday from day 1, to this date through the cross. How much more should our hearts be hardened in order for us to obey what the Lord's commands are, to obligate His purpose and to put our own behind. Will we live the life of Pharaoh and wait until God humbles us with 10 plagues to show us that our ways are wrong. There is absolutely no reason for us to craft a golden calf idol and worship it, of course this may sound too impossible, but as you go on your life, you may not know that you are already worshipping your boss, your computer games, your phones, yourself. A god or an idol in your life is anything or anyone that occupies your mind and time. And yes, the heart of worship also comes from God, we can see that clearly as Christ lived and died.

Bottom line: One of the reasons why he created us in His image, is so that we could imitate His heart, and possess His wonderful personality, and one thing we should also have in spite of all that; gratefulness. For the least we could do is try to repay Him, even if we never could and never will.