History of Violence [Chapter 9]

"You can't stop being afraid just by pretending everything that scares you isn't there."

Michael Marshall

          Once Steve had calmed Ophelia down, he convinced her to take a seat. The moment that she was able to take the weight off of her feet, she realized how tired she was. It didn't seem to matter how much she had slept on the travel, her mind was still running. The whole last twenty-four hours had been long, and there was no end in sight to any of this. Things wouldn't get sorted out in a single day, even if they did, Ophelia didn't think that they would get sorted out in the way she wanted them to. 

             All she wanted was to go back to the way things were, just her and Bucky. She began to regret all the nights she wished to see Steve and Sam again, craving the friendships that she had only just started. Although she willingly gave those up when she left with Bucky, some nights it was all she could think of. Seeing Sam and Steve was good, but like she had said, not under these circumstances. Now, all she wanted was to erase the last twenty-four hours and go back to the only normal life she ever had.

          There were TV's in the room, and Ophelia had her eyes glued to them because Bucky was displayed upon them. Arms clasped in huge metal restraints, inside of a tiny square. She shuddered at the thought, because it was a smaller cell than even HYDRA gave them. Sharon was in the room with Ophelia, Steve and Sam, obviously tasked to watch over them, but she was playing both sides. Slyly, the blonde reached down and pushed the audio button, and suddenly the doctor's accented voice filled the room. Steve glanced around and Sharon nodded warmly at him, and he turned his attention back to the TV.

          "James," the doctor said over the TV Speakers, and when Bucky refused to reply, he spoke again. "James, I need you to talk to me."

          "My name is Bucky," he said with a defiant tone. Ophelia could see his worry, though. She hadn't noticed it herself, but she was leaned forward as if being closer to the TV would close the space between her and Bucky.

          "Why would Task Force release that photo?" Steve turned away from the TV, his arms crossed over his chest, eyes on Sharon. Ophelia saw that Bucky wasn't responding, and turned to look at Steve. There was something in his eyes beyond the concern for his friend, something that resembled a longing Ophelia knew had been in her own eyes before. She glanced at Sharon and realized who Steve was longing for, and she felt a small tug at her lips, but the smile never actually made its way on her stressed face.

          "Get the word out. Get as many people looking for the Winter Soldier as possible." Sharon spoke smoothly, but there was concern to her voice

          "Seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier, it's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding," Steve carried on.  

          Sam piped up, "Steve, we looked for this guy for two years."

          "Yeah, but we didn't bomb the UN. That draws a lot of attention." 

           "You're saying someone framed him to find him?" Sharon went on, seeing where Steve was going.  

          Ophelia met with Sam's eyes; he had been the one looking for them all this time. She smiled, knowing that he was truly a great friend to Steve. Before she had a chance to intervene, to say anything, Sharon spoke up again. "That doesn't guarantee that they would find him, it guarantees that we would-"

          Her eyes flickered up to the TV's that showed various different parts of the building. She stared at the TV that showed the doctor and Bucky, and Steve looked up as well. Both of them were thinking the same thing, and Ophelia had to piece it together herself. If someone was looking for Bucky, and wanted him to be brought here, then that person was probably here. She cocked her head to the side, her eyes focusing on Bucky on the TV. The doctor spoke again, this time his voice suddenly seemed ominous to Ophelia.