Two Stories Told I

For this piece, we had a sentence in which we had two write two different stories. We read from a book that had an example of it in it about a young girl's mother to explain this concept better to us.

My sentence was:

A woman slams her phone down and crying, runs toward a man sitting in the living room.

It is us to you, readers, to know which story is write and which one is wrong. (Whenever I write these, one character will be delusional.)

* * *

She paced back and forth in the room she used to share with someone in anticipation and worry. The last time she felt like this was two years ago when her boyfriend went to the war. It was a bad time then when they were desperate for money. She didn't want him to leave, but he said he had to in order to help them both.

In the time he was away though, her friends made her go out and do other things she normally wouldn't do to get her mind off of him. The only thing wrong was that it didn't work. She always thought about him because they hadn't gotten a chance to do those things with him yet because of the money situation. Also may have been the fact that she had to recover from broken bones being the clumsy person she was.

Now though, her phone pinged with an incoming text message that was from him, her love. She slammed her phone down and crying, ran towards a man sitting in the living room. The woman engulfed him in a hug and whispered, "You're back."

* * *

She was running down the sidewalk crossing streets almost getting hit by cars as she tried to get to her friend's apartment. Today was the day everything she and her other friends worked towards would crumble. Today was the day he returned.

For years she saw the signs of abuse her friend tried to hide poorly. Broken bones that couldn't be explained, flinching, caked on makeup, long sleeves in the summertime. It was all there, so when he went away to war, they thought it was the perfect opportunity to get the help she needed. Her friend didn't want to go through with anything they tried to do.

So now she was running up the stairs to the apartment hoping to get there before he did. When she did get there though, it was too late because they were already hugging in a warm embrace. She was too late to save her friend.

Because now that he's back, she'll never leave.

* * *