Story Cubes

So for this, we had these dice that had pictures on it, and whatever they showed was what we had to include in our writing.  I had a keyhole, an id, the moon, a question mark, a beetle, a fire, an arrow, a clock, and a bumblebee.

* * *

NASA hasn't sent people to the moon in so long.  They haven't done a lot really, and people were wondering if here was something they were trying to hide.  But then again, a lot of us were afraid of the unknown.

And then something changed; everything changed when the bees attacked.  They weren't normal bees; they were from there.  They were from outer space.  The bees were blue, and when they stung their victims, they turned green and had skin hanging off of them.  Doctors and scientists did research on them and found out that they had chemicals found in moon soil samples.  Because of this, the space program restarted.

They wanted to send us to the moon to find a cure.

I was the only person who passed the test, so I went alone.  I was prepared as best as I could, but I still had so many questions.

They planned enough food and oxygen for me to stay a week and search, but they advised that I should leave on the fifth day.  It was already my second day, yet I found nothing.  I glanced at the clock and found that it was late.  I should sleep, but I need to find something.

I can't go back to all those dying people with no cure for them.

So I set out.

The terrain seemed different somehow.  I'd never been out this late, but that shouldn't change anything.  Yet I saw animals.  Beetles to be exact.  They were blue just like the bees, so I followed them.  I'd figured they'd be my best bet at finding the cure.  They all crawled out of craters in various sizes.  They gathered together and formed an arrow.  I followed their glowing blue butts and found a keyhole shaped crater.

I crawled down to peer into it, and I felt the bugs crawl on me, pushing me in.  The drop downwards took forever, and I thought I had entered a bottomless pit.  And then I hit the ground, hard.

I got up and dusted myself off.  I dug around for my flashlight and pulled it out.  Clicking it on, I noticed something white on the ground.  Reaching down for it, I realized it was an id.  It turned out to belong to Neil Armstrong.

I was shocked to find it because all they did was step on the moon and then leave.  Right?  Right?

I walked deeper into the cave and noticed two large lumps in the distance.  I approached cautiously and called out but got no response.  I threw a sock at it, but it didn't move.

Finally, I walked up to it.  I shined my flashlight on it and screamed.  What I saw was horrifying.  What I saw were the faces of Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin.  I kept screaming.  Why were their bodies here?  Did NASA know something?

"Of course we know," mission control said in my helmet.  "Why do you think we stopped sending people to the moon?  We really appreciate you finding their bodies for us.  Now burn them."

"What?" I ask in shock.

"Do it or we'll kill you.  You're space suit is programmed with a flame thrower.  You have one minute to do so, or it'll turn on you."

I stood there in shock at what I heard.  I was trapped with this knowledge with no escape.  But if I were going to die, it would be on my terms.

"Fine, have it your way."

"I'm glad you see things our way," they replied.  I looked on my arm panel for the button to activate the flame thrower.  "Your body heat is rising rapidly!"

"I know.  Tell my wife I love her."

* * *