Soap

There were cups placed around in a circle, and we had to role a dice to figure out how many spaces to move.  We would then lift the cup to see what item we had to write about the person we thought would have the item.  I got half a bar of soap.

* * *

He sat in his jail cell after having arrived at the prison only an hour earlier.  They issued him the standard clothing and the basic necessities.  He was alone in his cell; the guards said his cell mates would be back after recreational time was over.  That would be in about another hour.  He knew the schedule already.

The man had been here before (three times to be exact).  His behavior and attitude hadn't changed once in every time he got out.  The only thing different this time around was that he now had a one-year old son at home, yet his sentence was 10 years.  They said he could get parole after about five years if he had good behavior.  Everyone around him laughed at the thought that he could get out on good behavior.  That was a funny thought.

But right now he sat on his issued bunk holding a half of a green soap bar in his hands.  He twisted in around in his hands staring at it.  He had many thoughts running through his head at the moment but didn't know what to do with them.  The only thing that stood out was that he needed to stop this life.  He needed to do what he could to become clean and be there for his son and not mess anymore of his life than he already has.

* * *