Crossroads

"Forgive me, Raoul. I did not want to say anything until I knew that the role is mine, but now that I went and sang for them it seems so final. And this is something I truly wish to do."

"Christine, why didn't you trust me? I am supposed to be your closest confidante, am I not? How can I protect and guide you if I learn of these things too late?"

"Forgive me, my love..." I started, anxiously.

"It is all right. I understand, or at least I try to understand, since I am not a great artist myself."

"You are a great patron, though," I joked, and he smiled.

"My love, you would be amazing in this. I am just worried about the timing of it. I have been long absent from my family now, and will have to return soon to see to some estate business, but I would hate to leave you here alone."

"I will have Sophia remain with me, at least, since the Bouverts are bound to soon depart for France, as well."

Bouverts were a young couple, and they traveled along with us, which was pleasant since the young lord was an old university friend of Raoul's. They were amiable, though often kept to themselves, as you might expect from a pair of giddy newlyweds. In all honesty, their presence or absence made little difference to me.

"That's what worries me. You, alone, in a foreign country... I can't leave you. I would never forgive myself if something was to happen to you."

"Raoul, I will be fine!" I approached him and took his hands in mine. "Don't worry so much."

He smiled and looked into my eyes.

"Come, we will return to France at once, stay as little as necessary, and hurry back for you to get ready for the premiere."

I paused. Should I do as he says? The idea of being away from him was a little intimidating. For the first time in my life, I alone would be taking care of myself. It was intimidating, yes, but also a little exciting.

"No, Raoul. This is a very demanding role. It will require a lot of preparation. I must stay here and give it my all."

He looked troubled, started to say something, hesitated, and then spoke at last.

"They never found his body."

"Oh. Oh, Raoul. Forget about that. Leave it be. Even if he wasn't dead, it's been nearly two years now. There has never been the slightest suspicion or a sign... And besides, he did let us go then."

"Only because we were to be rescued by a mob."

"No, it's not that. He let us go because he was a broken man more than he was an evil one. We need not fear that ghost anymore. He belongs to our past."

Raoul sighed and forced the frown from his face, replacing it with a smile.

"Perhaps you are right. You have grown so much, Christine, during our engagement. Look at you, so strong, so brave and independent. Your star is on the rise... I wonder sometimes if you still need me."

"I want you. That is enough."

We kissed, and I let the kiss melt away the weariness that would sometimes arise in me during these conversations.

In the end, we agreed that Raoul will leave for home together with the Bouverts, and Sophia and I will move to the housing secured for me by La Fenice. With such an early departure, Raoul was certain to make it back in time for the premiere, and if luck would have it, perhaps even for my birthday.

I thought about the aria that I sang for my audition... It was perhaps the most beautiful thing I have ever performed on stage. For that reason alone I knew I made the right decision.

Titania was a demanding role, one that will either condemn me or elevate me in the eyes of the critics. It was a risk that scared me, but also one that I needed. It was perfectly absurd, but despite all the nervousness, I looked forward to the upcoming weeks. Living for the theater once again. That was who I was, that was my life!