A Thornless Rose

Erik

What was I doing?

I had such a perfect opportunity to kiss her, and then the devil in me told me not to, and not out of some noble intent, but rather to torment her, to manipulate her into wanting me even more. She was succumbing to me, I could feel it. My dream wasn't an impossibility anymore, but merely... improbable.

She might yet wish to be my bride. And yet I am a foul man if I make it happen.

To condemn her to share her life with one such as I --  perhaps that would be still acting like a true villain. And yet how could it be wrong to merely give her what she wanted? If she truly wanted me?

The dilemma was distracting me, and I had more important matters to think of. I took a deep breath and focused on the problem at hand: I was standing in Manelli's office, and Don Juan was nowhere to be found. I had searched through the entire office, but the music score simply wasn't here.

There was little else for me to do at La Fenice, so I sneaked out and returned home.

***

Christine found out about my failure on her own, and in the worst way possible.

She returned from La Fenice next day in a fit of nerves. Or rather, she was angry, a rarity for her.

"Let me guess," I began as she rushed into my study, "they are making a production of my Don Juan after all?"

She stopped, startled.

"Yes! How do you know? Why didn't you retrieve it last night?"

"The papers were already gone by the time I reached the office. It would have been too risky and time-consuming to search the entire opera house."

"I see. So she didn't waste any time," Christine murmured angrily.

"Who didn't?"

"That Lavizzi girl! Manelli is convinced she's been going through his things, or perhaps even eavesdropping. She is a terrible gossipmonger in any case. Manelli says that she maneouvered the situation by stealing the score and planting it among her uncle's papers, then convinced her uncle -- the manager -- that it's the best idea ever to stage that opera!"

"I could take care of that woman," I interjected mildly, startling Christine.

"What? No! You mustn't!"

"And I won't," I smiled. Was that a bad joke to make? "I merely wanted to stop you from working yourself up any further. To distract you."

"Oh. It worked. Thank you," she blinked and sat down opposite me, then continued to talk.

"In any case, I said I won't do it. Not even the small role Carlotta had sang. They will merely count on me as an understudy, since I already know that opera, but miss Lavizzi will perform the main role."

"I see. Such a shame. I wrote it specifically with your voice in mind, but I understand. In any case, it will be safer for you to watch the show from the audience. When is the premiere?"

"Thankfully, not so soon. After Easter. They didn't think it prudent to stage such a -- I quote -- carnal and scandalous opera during Lent. And besides, preparing everything will take time."

"So, late April, I presume?"

"Yes."

"You can be someplace far away by then, if you wish so."

"How? My savings are meager. Where would I go? I could write to Meg, of course, but if she fails to secure a job for me..."

I lowered my eyes. This was a moment I dreaded, but I had to follow through with it.