Acqua Alta

"Good, you are awake," were the first words I heard when I came to, and they were the last pieces of a puzzle.

"You! You are that madman."

"Tsk! Not the kindest of attributes to give to your captor, don't you think?"

I was unmasked, tightly bound and likely locked in a room that seemed to be an old, unused wine cellar.

"If you plan on killing me, it doesn't matter how I call you."

"I could make it more or less painful," he answered coolly, as if discussing the furniture, but I could sense a touch of rage beneath it all.

"Though in all honesty, I am not the murdering type. I prefer to keep my hands as clean as possible, which is why I am so happy that the tide is on the rise and this house is very, very old."

Acqua Alta! At this late hour, the tide was already high, and the water could seep in here fast enough.

I kept silent, trying to clear my mind from the last traces of the drug that he must have given to me earlier. Slipped it into the wine he then served to me... Oh, I've been so naive and careless!

What was it about me that draws the attention of the kidnapping madmen? Just as one begins to make himself into a decent human being, another one appears to take his place. I laughed at the absurdity of it all, and the man seemed to study me more carefully.

"Too much wine, signora? The situation is not funny."

"Oh but it is, a little."

I imagined he frowned, though I couldn't see it, as he was wearing a mask, a small silver one that all the waiters used. It made him look eerie and more menacing in this context.

"Why are you doing this? What have I done to you?"

"You as good as murdered my father," he snapped back.

I froze in confusion.

"Who? Surely you have it all wrong!"

"Perhaps you have no knowledge of me since I am illegitimate, but my father still cared for me, more then enough for me to wish to avenge his death. Shall I recite you what must have been his final words? They were addressed to you."

What? I tried remembering had I ever encountered a dying man, but the only person who came to my mind was my own father.

No! Could this man be my half-brother? The idea was sickening. And what was even more sickening was the fact that I was running out of time. As I was sitting tied up on the cold floor, I could feel the first traces of water soak up my dress. The rise of the water level might not be enough to fill up the room, but if I was tied up and couldn't swim, it didn't matter.

"Actually, thinking on it, I love the idea of letting you die without knowing why. And I'd better go, as I can't risk getting wet. It would make it harder for me to blend in with the other waiters again. Pleasant dreams to you, you witch. I hope you'll find ample suffering while waiting for the flood."

"Please listen to me! You are mistaken!"

He crouched above me, so close that I could smell the scent of sandalwood on his skin. His eyes were dark, just like mine, and below the silver mask there was a grim set to his mouth. He looked like someone who was driven by ruthless determination, and not like a madman at all.

And then he painfully pressed my cheeks, forcing me to open my mouth, and shoved in a handkerchief to gag me, tying another one over it. I was rendered mute.

"Just in case," he said, rose to his feet, and swiftly left.

Panic seized me immediately. With my hands tied behind my back and my ankles tied together, and on top of that, wearing a formal dress with the corset, I could hardly move. The best I could do was to bend my legs and rearrange my position so that I was kneeling and not sitting.

The higher my head is, the more time I'll have.

My mind fought against panic and my body against the cold. The cellar was damp and, judging from the smell, probably moldy in places, and the water was pouring inside too quickly for comfort.

Tears slid down my face and I spent the next couple of minutes trying to keep calm. Then the shaking came. Sea water in February was as cold as you'd imagine, and my satin dress wasn't of much help.

It was such a foolish move to come to this ball, and then not to stay by Erik's side, but I was so starved for some casual evening entertainment and chatter and dancing, that I acted recklessly.

I looked around, more carefully, since my eyes were well adjusted to darkness by now. Near enough on my right there was a piece of iron frame that looked broken and sharp on one end. Pushing myself away with my hands, and throwing my feet forward again, I managed to awkwardly crawl toward it. The water through which I moved reached up to my waist now, and was filthy and disgusting, but this mattered little if I don't get out of his alive.

No, I would not even think of that option. To do so would be to welcome despair in. I painfully tried to bend and lift my arms as much as I could. Finding the thing I was looking for, I began to rub the ropes against it. After a few minutes, something came loose, and then I wriggled my wrists until I managed to pull them out of the binds.

Oh, yes!

Now the rest of it was easy. I untied and spat out the gag from my mouth, and reached into the water to feel the ropes around my ankles. The water was cold, and my gloves thin and slippery - they only made it more difficult to work the ropes, so I pulled them off - or rather peeled them off, given their wet state. This lost me a couple of more minutes and the water was even higher now, but at least I stood a good chance of untying the ropes. My fingers were numb from cold and it was difficult using them at all, but after a few failed, flimsy attempts, I got lucky and found the right place to pull.

I scrambled to my feet, finally free of the water which, now that I was standing, only reached to my knees. What a difference it was to change perspective! What a relief!

I tried to relax and stay optimistic. The heavy, metal door was rusty and wouldn't budge, but now at least I had time. Erik will find me. I won't drown. Standing up, it suddenly seemed impossible that water would ever reach so high to submerge me, and so my main problem was freezing to death.

"Help! Anybody there?" I shouted through the tiny window with bars at the top of the door, but outside was only quiet and darkness.

Where was Erik? This house was huge, but surely he had to be looking for me by now... I gave the door another pull and sighed, leaning against them. Until I could think of something else, all that was left for me was to wait, hope and pray.

The Phantom Ascending |✔| [Phantom of the Opera Fanfiction]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara