1- 1.Adventures in Pyrotechnics (Minus the Fireworks)

This wasn't good. Shit, this wasn't good at all. What was he thinking, how could this have possibly been a valid thought in his mind at all.

"Suspended, during the last week of school?" His mum was an unstoppable whirlwind of anger, pacing the kitchen at an alarming rate. "How does that even happen?"

He looked up from the tabletop curiously. "They didn't tell you?"

"Jeez, of course they told me," she muttered, palming her forehead as if she had a headache. Okay, more than likely she did, and because of him. "I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. How do you even set a classroom on fire?"

"It wasn't my fault." If that didn't sound desperately fake, he didn't know what was. "It was an accident, the burner just...I hit it with my elbow and it flipped over and..." The unconvinced look was enough to make him sigh and give up. "I really didn't mean to."

She seemed to deflate slightly at his sincere tone, crossing her arms. "I'm sure you didn't, but this isn't something we can just let go."

Of course not, he'd already known that. Getting kicked out of classes a week earlier than expected, damaging school property and his parents having to pay for half the crime; there was no getting off easy on that one. "Yeah, I understand. You want my phone and my laptop?"

Because that was the usual deal: take away the things he was most attached to, sometimes with the added exception of cleaning the entire house or just cutting off the wifi entirely, which was much more torturous in his opinion. That's what he was expecting. He could handle that.

His mum just stood there, though, a pensive look on her face that made Dan worried. God, was she thinking of some new and more effective way to punish him? His heart sank in his chest at the prospect.

"Actually, I have a different idea." And shit, yeah, that definitely wasn't good.

She left the kitchen, and Dan had the chilling feeling akin to being put on death row. Which was highly over reactive, he knew, but he blamed his vivid imagination.  She returned a minute later, carrying her laptop and setting it down in front of him hesitantly. The bold, bright yellow lettering actually made him squint, and he barely made out the top section of type; 'Camp Overfell'

"What the hell is this?" He questioned, proud that he managed not to vomit as he scrolled through the website. It was full of pictures of overly happy teenagers, all wearing shorts and T-shirts and giant smiles full of teeth. They looked like they were being held at gunpoint. 

"A camp, for kids your age," she explained, sitting next to him and watching the screen as well. "It lasts the whole summer, and it's gotten a lot of great reviews, it's supposed to be a really great place."

Troublesome teens need a break from their lives? Camp Overfell is a friendly
and fun place for teens between
fourteen and eighteen years old, full
of fun activities and calming
exercises that will guarantee a
relaxed summer!

His stomach was twisting just reading it. "What's this got to do with me, then?"

"Your father and I think it would be a good idea for you to go--"

"What? No," he was quick to immediately dismiss the idea. "Mum, this place is for people in straight jackets, or who are into public humiliation or something. Not me."

She sighed, a tired sound that made Dan instantly feel guilty. "It may seem a bit washed up, but I think it could really be good for you."