intermission

August 10, 2:23am

"This would be disgustingly cute if you guys weren't teenagers skipping a raging party at two in the morning," Finn said in clear disapproval that Phil blatantly ignored.

Dan was shoulder to shoulder with him on his bed, and neither of them had spoken much in the last few hours, but it wasn't uncomfortable or weird. Phil was reading, and Dan was playing a variety of games on his phone.

"Parties are boring," Dan said in explanation. "I don't even know anyone there."

"You know me."

"Unfortunately," Dan smirked.

Finn threw his hands up in frustration, a clear sign that he was tired of their weird excuses, but he didn't try and argue about it anymore. He was probably too drunk to drag them into the social world right now. "Whatever," he said. "Have fun, then."

The door closed and they were alone again.

Phil tried to focus on his book again, but he was a bit distracted. Dan had told him that this was fine, that he wanted to hang out with Phil instead of his other friends, but Phil still worried he was being a little clingy. He really hoped Dan wasn't just trying to appease him.

"You could go if you want," Phil said, hoping he didn't sound as stupid as he felt. Was he trying to make Dan leave? "They want to hang out with you and stuff. I wouldn't mind if you went."

"Do you want me to go?" Dan asked.

Phil shrugged. "I want you to do whatever you want to do."

Dan smiled slowly at him and raised an eyebrow. "Whatever I want?"

And that was...well, Phil was still getting used to Dan's boldness. Maybe he had started this whole thing between them, but he had never been with a boy who was always so sure about what he wanted. He fucking loved it.

The cabin was empty, and they both knew that their bunk mates wouldn't be back in for another couple of hours at least, but they also knew not to push it.

Dan hissed when Phil slid his hands under his shirt. "You're fucking freezing," he said, but he didn't push Phil away, and soon enough, his shirt was gone anyway. Phil kissed the top of his shoulder softly.

They weren't rushing, and maybe they should have been, but sometimes Dan would make these noises and Phil couldn't help making him do it over and over again.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" Phil said, wrapping an arm around Dan's waist to make him pause. Dan looked entirely unhappy about the interruption.

"Right now?" He asked, out of breath and with glazed over eyes. Phil nodded. "Um, okay, what is it?"

"How many people have you, like....been with?" It had never occurred to him before now, and it really didn't even matter, but he couldn't take it back. Dan stared at him silently for a second, most likely still trying to calm down enough to answer.

"I don't," Dan said. "I mean, I don't know. A few, I guess. Five or six." Phil nodded. He didn't know what he'd been expecting, but it wouldn't have been a big deal anyway because he had no room to make comments. He'd already fucked up before that way. "Why so curious all of a sudden?" Dan asked in return.

Phil couldn't even begin to answer that for himself. "You just...you make me a little nervous sometimes. You speak your mind, and you deal with things upfront, and you know what you want. And sometimes I think you're way too good for this. For me."

"'Too good'?" Dan scoffed lightly at him. "Honestly, I think this is right where I need to be right now."

"Mm," Phil smiled at him, letting his hands drift to Dan's thighs, to his waist and up to his shoulders. "That was kind of romantic, actually."

"Was it?" Dan said with a laugh, and Phil hummed a yes.

They kissed, and it was slow, but Dan tangled his fingers into Phil's hair and moved his hips slowly, enough to make Phil tense in anticipation.

He wasn't too worried about semantics right now.