SIXTEEN

ARIA

Morning light shines over my closed eyes, encouraging them to peel open. The blurriness clears after a few blinks of my eyes. Now clear, I see someone crouched beside the bed, their face inches from mine.

"Hola, chica. How was your sleep?"

I fling my body backward, accidentally whacking my head on the bed board in the process. "What are you doing in my room?"

Carlos leaps, quite gracefully, on the bed beside me. A smug grin leers down at me. "I came to visit my best friend's beautiful mate. Why else? Didn't you miss me?"

I rub at the back of my head. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if I'm concussed. "I don't even know you."

If the situation weren't so odd, I'd think he has a cute smile. "You know me enough, chica. Did you tell Little Jamie about our goodbye kiss? I hope you went into detail."

A quiet snort comes from me. Ignoring that untrustworthy twinkle in his brown eyes, I fold my arms across my chest. "I didn't tell him because he'd probably kill you and I don't want that on my conscience. I also wouldn't consider it a kiss." Thinking back, I remember him barging into James' room and forcing a peck on my cheek.

"I'm offended." Carlos leans on his elbow to close a bit of distance between us. "I could do the real thing, if you're interested."

I quickly hop off of the bed. "I'll pass."

"Suit yourself." Carlos leans back and settles on my bed, hands behind his head and all.

A few months ago, I'd be a lot more disturbed of some strange guy in my bed. I think my brain broke after the whole werewolf debacle. Therapy. I need therapy.

He lets out a heavy sigh. "I'm just checking in. Seeing how everyone's doing. Especially you. Ever since I've met you, I've been intrigued. So, I did a little digging, and I found something that piqued my interest."

I tilt my head to the side. "What did you find?"

"Ah, ah, ah. I won't give it up that easily, but I can be persuaded."

Shifting in my spot between the bathroom and the bed, I narrow my eyes at him in question. "What do you want?"

His devious smile gives me a bad feeling. "I need you to do something for me. I'll send it through text. Then, we'll talk. Oh, and don't tell our James that I was here, unless you want me to keep my mouth shut."

Carlos sauntered over to the balcony and, without hesitation, jumps off. I'm talking Edward Cullen pouncing out of Bella's window kind of jump. I scurry over to the railing to see him nowhere in sight.

Curiosity sucks. I was always that girl who opened up the locked box only to have a heart attack from the creepy clown thing popping out at me. Those hour movies where the extra character sneaks around the house, searching for that odd noise? Yeah, that would be me.

Carlos plagues my mind as I throw on jean shorts and a baggy tank top. In the mirror, I watch myself twist my hair into a French braid. "I'm going to do it, aren't I?" I ask myself. This is definitely a life altering decision I'm about to make. Carlos wants my silence? Fine. His information better be interesting.

My phone beeps; a text from an unknown number. I read the text I assume is from Carlos. He give me the instructions. Nothing too difficult. Well, hopefully.

Out in the hall, I stumble against the hard chest of a fuming James. I peer down the hall, seeing that we're alone, then focus back on the glare on his face. "Everything okay?"