THIRTY-SIX

ARIA

My finger trails up the cold bar that cages me in. Flakes of black paint fall off, some sticking to my pants. A noise catches my attention. I bolt up from my sitting position just as a bright light pools into the room. Just as fast as it came, it vanishes.

Several pairs of shoes click against the cement floors. I focus on them, wondering if maybe they're coming to make me their 'puppet.' Instead of coming up to my cell, another one is flung open. There are a grunting noise and the sound of a body falling to the ground. The footsteps retreat again and leave the room.

Tentatively, I take a step closer to the wall that neglected me the ability to see everything unfold. I hear heavy breathing. I assume those guards dropped off another prisoner and promptly left.

"Well, shit." It's a man, his voice deep and growly. "This blows."

I clear my throat for him to realize he's not alone.

"Double shit. Is someone here, or have I gone mad?"

"You haven't... uh... gone mad," I let him know.

"Feel like there should be a 'yet' in there, somewhere, yeah? Fuck, my ribs hurt."

I inch closer to the wall. "What happened to you?"

"The wankers ambushed me when I was two seconds from introducing myself to my mate. Dirty fuckwads, they are. Basically kicked me when I was down."

I slide down into a sitting position, resting the back of my head against the wall. "Are you a hybrid too?"

"Sure am. Bit of an unlucky trait nowadays, yeah?"

"Yep." I sigh heavily, fluttering my eyes to closed. It's nice not being alone. It helps me forget that they're maybe hours away from dragging me off to God knows where for them to perform God knows what kind of torture on me. God, and I'm not even religious. "Where are you from?"

The man shuffles across the floor, his clothing creating a scratching noise against the surface. "BC."

"That's far."

"Sure is. My dad said I couldn't take the Alpha title until I've found my mate. So, naturally, I started searching all across Canada. Fate really is a bitch."

"Is she a wolf too?"

"Not sure. Don't think so. Who the hell really knows?" The man sighs. "Not me. That's for bloody sure."

"I'm sorry," I breath.

"I'm over it." The man pauses. "The names Jenson. Damien Jenson."

"Aria Parker."

"Nice to meet you, Aria. Hope you don't die here."

I laugh bitterly, shaking my head despite the fact that he can't see me. "They don't want to kill us. They want to use us."

"Probably a bit worse than dying."

"Yeah."

We remain silent after that. I nod off every now and then, jolting awake for any noise. Whether it be Damien shifting in his spot or the sound of a water droplet hitting the floors and echoing around me. My skin feels jumpy to the point of constant discomfort. All I can wonder is when they're going to come and get me. What are they going to do to me?

My eyes flicker up to the cieling. I hope you're okay, mom. I did this for you.

I nearly fall asleep again when the door flings open hard enough to bang against the walls. My shoulders tense up as I listened to the sound of shoes walking in my direction. Don't be here for me. Don't be here for me. Don't be here for-