TWENTY-FIVE

ARIA

I am a master multitasker. Well, that's what I tell myself as I hold one of James' personal possessions in my hands while answering a phonecall from Payton.

"Aria?"

"Yeah?" I glare down at the photo resting on James' desk. It's the girl in that portrait. The one nobody is supposed to talk about.

"I heard Carlos is staying at the pack house. Is this true?"

My attention rips away from the girl in the photo. "Why do you want to know?"

Payton is silent for a few moments. "My father will only help you in this war if you give us Carlos."

"No," I reply without hesitation.

"He's evil."

I'm not about to defend Carlos' past, but I have a strong feeling that he's different now. Well, I hope. "No, you can't take him. He's not bad. Not anymore"

"Why are you defending him?"

I pause. "He's the reason we got out of there. I owe him."

She lets out a sigh. "I'll talk to my dad. No promises." She hangs up.

I should have stepped out of James' room instead of remaining on his desk chair when taking that call. Maybe part of me wanted him to wake up, so he could see what I'm looking at. By the ruffling of bed sheets, I know the plan worked. I smile as I feel his arms loop around me; he rests his chin on the top of my head.

I trace my finger along the corner of the photo. "Who is she?" Feeling his body tense around mine, I turn to look up at him. "Sorry. It's none of my business."

He sighs. "No. It is your business." James hauls me up into his arms. "I can show you. Who she is." Pulling away, James smiles down at me. "I'll even introduce you to my father."

"Wait, what?" I call to his retreating form. He laughs like the devil he is, all the way to the bathroom.

A new set of fear settles in my stomach; meeting the parents. How horrifying. In fact, this new information distracts me enough that I hardly recognize Kasey and Caleb talking to one another in the kitchen. That is, until Kasey switches her attention to me.

"Hey, Ar! You smell different." A mischievous smile spreads across her face. "Ou. I get it."

My cheeks flame as I turn away from them. "I'm ignoring you." I pour myself a bowl of cereal and some fresh strawberries on the side. Morning and cooking don't go well together for me. Almost zombie-like, I trudge over to the dining table, sitting across from them.

"What's up with you?"

I groan. "I'm meeting the parents today." Caleb's eyes widen. "What?" I ask him. "Are they that bad?"

"They're..." he sighs. "Good luck, Aria."

My stomach sinks.

James joins the room, still shirtless, and sits beside me. He casually places an arm around me to scoot my seat closer to his.

"We're going to the Foniás Pack today," James announces to Caleb. "We're also going to stop by the Kynikós Pack; I need to discuss some things with Christopher. Could you look over things?"

Caleb nods once. "I'll have everything taken care of."

"Thanks."

James opens his mouth and faces me. I give him a weird look. "What are you doing?"