THIRTY-NINE

ARIA

"We need to leave," Payton repeats, her voice a mere echo.

I lift my gaze from Carlos' pale features. His legs are still tucked underneath him and his arms lay limp beside his torso. The one image that I know I will never forget is the sight of his lifeless eyes staring blankly at the roof above him. Beside him, Caleb breathes, but he's unconscious.

Damien, noting the shock in my expression, takes a tentative step forward and scoops Caleb up in his arms, over his shoulder. "Payton's right. We need to get a move on. I don't know about you, but I don't want to stick around and become this guy's lab rat."

"Let's go," I whisper to James, who is still holding onto my tightly. I grab his face and force him to look into my eyes. "Okay?"

His eyes focus solely on me as if I'm the only thing existing to him. "Okay," he says in an exhale of breath.

I grab his hand firmly in mine and pull us both up to stand. My wound is aggravated and still open. I know that I'm running on adrenaline alone. That, and I can already feel my skin healing over the bullet, which is unfortunate when I'll have to pull it out later.

"This way," Payton affirms as she takes the lead. Damien falls into a step beside her, while James and I fall a step behind.

I hold onto him and he holds onto me. The effects of my injuries make my vision cross slightly, causing James' arms to tighten around my waist. Part of me wants to blurt out that I have my memories back and that I can shift, but I know now isn't the time.

With the weight of Carlos on my heart, I can't find it in me to speak.

"Why is it so bloody quiet?" Damien murmurs. His eyebrows are narrowed together in unease.

"They're outside, fighting my men," James replies coldly. "Who are you?" He asks, a slight look of uncertainty in his eyes.

Damien glances behind his shoulder dismissively. "Damien Jensen. That's all you need to know."

Payton, attention solely on what's ahead of her, tentatively opens up a metal door. The hinges whine from the sudden movement, creating a daunting echo around us. Light pools out from the entrance, giving hope that we found the exit.

Quickly, we all scurry outside. The feeling of the sun on my skin is foreign to me; I'd forgotten how the warmth could so easily soak into my skin.

The feeling of joy is quickly erased by the sights in front of us. There's a thick line of forest a few dozen feet away from us, filled with the sounds of wolves and guns. In front of that forest is the man I wish to never see again.

Victor's eyes land on me, narrowing slightly in what appears to be in aggravation. Flanking him is Finn, Gem, and a few unrecognizable faces.

"I thought you said you killed her," he growls. "And him." Victor's attention shifts from me to the unconscious body balanced on Damien's shoulder.

Finn glares at me. "I shot them both. Caleb should be dead."

"He clearly is not."

"It's over, Victor," James speaks, slowly regaining his ability to emit his powerful aura. "All of the hybrids have been set free, thanks to my men. You have nothing left."

Victor laughs, a dark sound that sends shivers up my exposed arms. "Ah, but that's where you're wrong, James. There are many rogues willing to give up their humanity to me. All of which are currently in a blood bath with your pack members."

"You don't have any hybrids," I speak up, causing his cold eyes to meet mine once again. "That's what you wanted from the start, isn't it?"

His eyes narrow at me. "A few of them did accept my treatment. Taylor was the first, but I assume she's dead now." Gradually, his expression shifts to one of utter distaste. "Your mother truly is a spineless woman, Aria. You look so much like her. It will do me great justice in killing you, just like I did to her."