SIX

ARIA

Blue and green colour the side of my face. Prodding with fingers, I wince at the soreness that comes with the pain. Thanks to my lovely friend, Kasey, I know just how to cover this baby up. Digging through my blue make-up bag, I do just that.

My concealer smears on slightly darker than my fawn skin, but that's probably because I barely stepped out of my parent's house during the summer season. I usually tan quite nicely, thanks to momma's Italian genes. Though, I do get a freckle or two.

Staring at my reflection, I notice something. Leaning forward, nose grazing the glass, I narrow my eyes at two small cuts on my bottom lip. My fingers press against them, feeling the liquid smear onto the tips.

Fresh cuts. Either I've suddenly become a nightly lip gnawer or spiders crawled into my bed and did what spiders do; evil. Pure, pure evil.

An uncomfortable shiver trembles my body.

Happy thoughts. Puppies. Jason Momoa. Jason Momoa holding puppies.

Dispelling thoughts of those abhorrent creatures that shouldn't exist, I leave my room and zoom for the kitchen. Thanks to both of my parent's love of cooking, I grew up with a big appetite. Food is everything. Food is life.

I burst through the doors and narrowly miss smashing into a disgruntled Finn. He's leaning by the counter, holding a bag of ice against his thighs. He glares at my arrival.

Yikes.

"Good morning to you, too," I greet as I pull myself on the island stool. I narrow my eyes at the grimace on his bow lips. "What happened to you?"

"A bit go one on one soccer last night. That ass doesn't have any remorse."

I stifle a laugh. "James?"

"The one and only," Finn grumbles.

"What did I do to earn your glare?"

Finn rolls his eyes. "Look in the mirror, sweetheart. Apparently I'm to blame for your poor soccer abilities."

Someone clears their throat. There, by the entryway, is James with his arms folded across his chest and a grin on his face. "Hey, Finn. Don't you have some business to attend to today?"

Finn scowls. "How could I possibly forget?" He stalks off in the opposite direction, ice pack forgotten on the counter.

Silence stretches for a few moments, and I shift from side to side in discomfort being under his insistent ogling. "Can I... help you?"

The corner of his lip twitches. "I'm going to take you out today."

I tilt my head to the side as I examine this man's charming smile. His smile reminds me of the sun. "You have so much confidence that I'll actually agree to go with you."

Chuckling, James saunters over to lean on the opposite side of the island table. "I kidnapped you before, who's to say I can't do it again?" By that glint of mischief in his sea-foam green eyes, I have a feeling he isn't kidding around.

As my man Poo would say, 'oh, bother.' Despite his threat, I smile. "Okay, bossy pants, where are we going?"

Gosh, that smile could move mountains. He rummages for food, and I can't help but gape at his nice, round butt. James takes out a carton of eggs and a bunch of veggies. I'm mesmerized by his delicious arms as he starts chopping. "It's a secret."

Admiring his handy work, I can't help but lick my lips. "I hate secrets," I mumble. Ou, he adds mushrooms. I love mushrooms. "What should I wear?"

He shrugs. All the ingredients are mixed together before being poured into the pan sizzling with butter. "Something nice."