Chapter 4

The Avengers had walked to the nearest restaurant. They got a table to fit them all and ordered drinks.

"This is stupid." Tony mumbled under his breath after a few minutes.

"What is?" Steve took a sip of his water from next to him.

"This." he motioned to the whole table. "We never eat out. Why all of a sudden when I'm smaller, we chose to go out and eat in public?"

Steve was saved as the server comeback and asked for their orders. The lady looked at Tony and asked him what he wanted. Tony put on a smirk and made a rather inappropriate suggestion.

"Arn't you just the cutest." The waitress smiled back at him and asked Steve what the younger gentleman wanted. Steve just smiled and ordered for him, while Tony tried to figure out what just happened.

"What the hell! Cute?" Tony crossed his arms and slouched in his seat.

"Language."

Tony rolled his eyes. They all ate their breakfast, and by the time it was time to go Tony had his arms around his chest, dosing off.

"I'm not waking him up and I'm not carrying him." Clint said, getting up from his chair. The others were already by the door when Steve bent down and nudged the sleeping Tony.

"What now?"

"We're leaving." Steve said gently. Tony raised his arms and Steve smiled. He picked up the boy and carried him out the restaurant, calling out a thank you to the waitress.

When he caught up to the others they all starred at him. "What?" He asked.

"It's weird. Why are you holding him?" Clint asked.

Steve's face flushed slightly. "He didn't want to walk." He answered.

"Sure." Clint smiled broadly. "And what were you doing in the kitchen with him this morning?"

"He cut his arm, so I covered it. Then he was hungry so we went to the kitchen." Steve kept his eyes forward.

"With no shirt on." Clint pushed forward.

"What are you trying to get me to say?" Steve was loosing his patiences.

"Oh nothing." Clint stayed silent for the rest of the walk home.

When they got home Tony woke up and ran in front of everyone else to go to who knows what.

"Steve could I talk with you for a second?" Bruce looked at Steve.

"Uh sure. What about?" Steve was lead to Bruce's lab.

"Stark." Bruce closed the door to his lab. "I went over the readings JARVIS has been taking before we left and it seems that he's brain is changing to being more of a seven year old's. He will start forgetting things. By the end of the month," Bruce paused and rubbed his temples.

"What?"

"By the end of the month, Tony's body won't be able to accept the rapid change of his brain." Bruce looked back at Steve just in time to see his face fall even further. "After that I cant make any predictions on what will happen, but it will most likely not be good." He finally finished.

"What," Steve cleared his throat. "What can you do to help him?" He crossed the room and sat on a rolling chair. He buried his face in his hands when Bruce remained silent.

"You like him don't you?" Bruce walked over to the chair.

"Yeah." He muffled through his hands. "Yeah." He repeated taking his hands off his face.

"Avengers Assemble." A deep voice was heard from the intercom. Bruce and Steve glanced at each other before running off to the Assemble room.

Steve entered right after Tony. He couldn't look at him, not after what he was just told.

"When the hell did this even happen?" Fury asked when everyone was seated. "And was anyone planing to tell me?"

"Sir, I can explain." Steve spoke up.

"You don't need to. Stark, until you figure out how to fix this, you cant fight. Team dismissed." Fury said and walked out.

"What?" Tony stood. "I can't fight?"

"It's for your own good kid." Clint said as he got up and walked to the door.

"I'm not a kid!" Tony ran to the door and as fast as he could disappeared from sight.

~~~~

Steve knocked on Tony's door a few hours later. "Tony?" He knocked again. "Tony?" A few seconds went by. "JARVIS where is Tony?"

"Mr. Stark is currently in his bedroom."

"Could you let me in please?" He asked.

"Of corse, sir." The door clicks and Steve opens it. He walked past the living room to the door of Tony's bedroom. "Hey, Tony? The door was cracked open.

"Wadda want?" Tony's voice was heard.

"None of us have seen you in a while, I just wanted to see how you were doing." Steve pushed past the door, It was dark.

"Why do you care?" Tony mumbled.

"JARVIS lights?" The lights came on and Tony had a glass in his hand. "Tony what is that?"

"Apple juice."

"Give it." Steve crossed the room and as soon as he passed Tony's bed he saw bottles of beer and scotch. Empty.