Chapter 6

Steve didn't come out of his room for the next few hours. The soldier couldn't face the small boy anymore. After he had finished talking, he heard Tony walk away.

Tony had walked away, but only to the other side of the room where he positioned himself on the couch until it was truly dark outside and only the lights of New York illuminated the room. He fell asleep when it started to rain, not heavily but the type of rain that came before a huge storm.

When Tony opened his eyes it was still dark out side but only because of the dark clouds hovering above the large city, so he closed his eyes again.

Steve had fallen asleep as well, but he was hunched over with his back on the door and legs stretched out. He got up and stretched, wincing when his muscles stretched and contracted. He opened the door and made his way to his kitchen.

"Tony? Why are you still here?" Steve was still half asleep.

"Didn't you say that you wanted to keep an eye on me?" Tony opened his eyes again and stretched his arms and legs out and they just hit the end of the couch.

Steve could tell that his condition was getting worse. He watched while Tony sat up and draped his legs over the couch, swinging them back and forth like a child. "Yeah." Steve mumbled out and turned back to the kitchen.

"Hey, what's for breakfast? I'm starving." Tony hopped off the couch and sauntered over to the counter where he pulled him self up on the chair.

"What do you want?" Steve opened the fridge and looked in.

"Eggs."

"Okay."

Steve cooked and Tony sat, neither made any comment of what happened the other day and bother were grateful of it.

When they were done eating the rain started coming down faster and harder. It pelted the windows and they could hear the wind whistling by.

Steve cleaned up and suggested that they should go down to see Bruce for a check up.

"I don't want to." Tony grumbled.

"You have to, now come on." Steve made a move to pick up the boy but Tony slipped out of his reach and bolted to the other side of the room.

"I said I don't want to!" Tony crossed his arms and looked up at Steve with a pout.

Steve sighed. "Tony, come on, it's just Bruce." Steve wouldn't play on with the childish act, even if it was just an act, he could try to spark a realization of who he is.

Tony seemed to snap out of it. He swallowed hard and lowered his arms slowly. "Yeah, okay." Tony walked to the door.

~~~~

After the checkup, Bruce took Steve out the room where Tony was. "The computer found a way to find what day his brain will revert back to being completely at younger stage."

"And?" Steve looked like a worried parent.

"It's in two days." Bruce let out a long breath.

"Two day!" Steve shouted, he immediately looked at the door where Tony was. "Two?" He said but in a whisper. "I thought it would be the end of the month. What happened to that?"

"The rapid digression of his brain is speeding up. Each day his brain is forgetting and soon..." Bruce trailed off.

"And soon what?" Steve crossed his arms.

"Soon, he'll forget us. He didn't know us until he was well over his teen stage even and his brain won't be able to mentally comprehend our existence." Bruce shook his head. "After the two days are up, anything could happen. He could stay like that, revert even further, or," Bruce looked anywhere but at Steve. "Or his brain could shut off, due to the overwhelming changing."

"Thank you Bruce." Steve leaned against the door frame.

"I know you had an attachment to him." Banner started to walk away. "We all have a soft spot for him."

Steve turned back and headed back to Tony. "Come on." Tony jumped down off the table he was sitting on and walked to Steve's side.