hurricane jones [11]

[Wait A Minute by Willow]
word count: 1556

in dedication to all the awkward dates i've been on, you don't always have to do something embarrassing, sometimes it's just the fact that you don't know what to talk about so you say nothing. dear me from past me, it gets better. x
-

I wasn't very good at being subtle.

"Who is he?" Halfway through an awkward conversation about the upcoming test in Chemistry, the date was sitting at a standstill... That is, until Dalton had addressed the elephant in the room. I knew he noticed my liking for Wyatt, I knew it from the time we'd bumped into him and I knew it when I was sitting down across from stone-cold eyes and gripping my menu like my life depended on it.

That was when I remembered the punch to my side, grimacing because I bruised so easily. Slipping my shirt up a bit, I frowned at the purplish tint and it confused me, "A friend. What was that?" Gesturing towards my stomach, my brows furrowed and I watched our waiter come up with our drinks in hand, pausing the conversation.

Smiling politely up at him, I recited my order and Dalton did too, glaring slightly at me once the man was gone. And if I wasn't uncomfortable before, I was even more when my date wouldn't quit the scrutinizing. Wyatt was a friend, a very nice friend whom I may or may not have been crushing on but that was over now.

Dalton and I were on a date, my very first date for a matter of fact and I wasn't going to ruin it before it had even started. I'd come out with him to learn more about him, to learn to like him and maybe he could be my person but all he wanted to talk about for the past ten minutes was my crush on Wyatt Stevens.

"He seemed to be very interested in you." Dalton's voice was calm, calculated like he often was but I could hear the tinge of annoyance in his words and sense the aggravation.

So trying not to anger him, I spoke all of what I'd experienced dealing with Wyatt Stevens. "He's not." Wyatt liked girls and all lanky and scrawny, five foot ten of boy I was, wasn't exactly feminine. His most-recent ex-girlfriend, Tey, was quite gorgeous and quite the opposite of me... come to think of it, I'd only seen Wyatt with girls -although seeing him with anyone was pretty rare- he seemed to like the female type... you know, the type with boobs. I most definitely did not have those nor did I have curves in any part of my body.

The boy in front of me scoffed, crystal-blue eyes rolling and I felt myself suck in a breath, "Wanna come on a hike with me? You're my muse." Twisting his straw around, he kept his eyes glued on the ice that was shifting in the liquid. He was trying to seem uninterested, I presumed, and it really was working. "He was flirting with you."

"He was not." My stomach clenched at the thought and I couldn't help the fear that Dalton would leave me here and refuse to even start the date. I'd never been on one of these and I knew it wasn't the nicest thing to ogle another guy on the walk here but I didn't even like Wyatt anymore. Sure his eyes were still deep and brown and his hair was still that chestnut color that floated in the fucking wind and reminded me of the autumn. Leaves caressing the breeze much like his hair and his smile so infectious it nearly made me fall in love- Snap out of it, Gabe.

Shaking my head gently to push the thoughts away, I looked back up at the boy across from me and pushed away the contrasting appearance. Dalton was cute and nice and he was right across from me, thinking about Wyatt was so rude. "Why're you acting like this? Why'd you hit me?"

"You almost told him this was a date." His voice was simple, as if it were an acceptable answer and his eyes focused straight on me. Almost as if I wasn't sure who he was talking to, I found myself looking around. When it was clear he meant me, I looked back at him, catching him twirling his straw in his drink again.