hurricane jones [13]

[Wild World by Cat Stevens]
word count: 3175

-

I'd never been really good at making friends, but then again... If you're reading this story so far, you can probably already tell.

Wyatt Stevens had to be the only person who'd taken time out of his day and asked me to hang out. The planets were one of our common interests, we'd realized one day during a break in-between shots and he'd asked me to go with him. At any other time, I would've jumped at the offer, would've let myself fall for him even more than usual and I would've enjoyed it.

Despite how painful it was to like a boy who didn't even notice you but was still way too sweet to you that it almost felt like he did... it was exhilarating, having someone to think about filled in the blank spaces and he gave me more than enough material.

But I was kind of sort of in that weird point before a relationship with Dalton and I wasn't that kind of guy. I couldn't juggle feelings for both so I was gonna get over my crush on Wyatt on my own terms, confess that I've liked him, probably. I mean, let's face it, I was undoubtably going to chicken out and take some time away from him anyways; Dalton had just given me an early start.

The problem was that he was already dictating where I could and could not hang out with my only friend. Maybe this was how relationships worked, I didn't know. All I knew was that his grandfather wasn't home when he'd brought me back to his house that evening.

"So..."

This was quiet for the first twenty minutes I'd been there, I wasn't quite sure where Quinn was but Dalton didn't mention it and it felt slightly weird to ask. Was it a bad sign that I was bored? Would he be offended if I said so? All I knew was I had to end the silence and soon before his grandfather got home and this visit would be in vain.

Maybe the point of bringing me to his was to get to know me a little but the fact that he'd barely spoken two words to me before popping in some video game wasn't exactly the deep part of getting to know me. From his mysterious vibe, I'd expected so much more, the dynamism hidden behind a cool exterior seemed so alluring... maybe I'd imagined it, maybe he wasn't all that dynamic.

I was sitting on his bed though and I was surrounded by his things even if there wasn't much, I liked it. Dalton had this airy and somewhat vacant way about him and his room reflected it, a sense of not quite belonging that felt nearly uncomfortable, his room had a few windows and a bed in the corner. He hadn't been there long so it wasn't exactly warmed up yet but there were a few things littered across his dresser, he had a soccer ball in the corner.

"You play soccer?" That was the first thing I'd been able to ask, I'd been there for an hour now and all I'd managed to bring up was a sport that he didn't seem to have any interest in besides a beat up old ball. He wasn't giving me much to work with, not yet, but maybe breaking the ice with something meaningless would help.

Still, he'd flitted his icy eyes over, them catching onto the  ball I'd now had been lightly kicking between my feet. "Footy?" He'd asked in clarification, eyes lingering and when he'd looked up, he shook his head. Turning back around, he didn't even look at me as he answered. "No, that's -uh- that was my dad's."

"Oh, is he in Australia?"

I'd developed an inability to keep my foot out my mouth with Dalton and that really shined through consistently. We'd talked about his sore subject of a parent numerous times now and we'd only know each other two weeks short of two months, and most of the time existed in him ignoring me in Chem. "Probably." Dalton had shrugged, as if it wasn't a big deal that his dad was absent and he was an orphan that lived in his grandfather's house in an unfamiliar country. "Haven't seen him in ages."