hurricane jones [14]

[Insecurities by Syd]
word count: 2774

-

In an eight person home, secrets were hard to keep.

I'd never been good at it for that specific reason, never been able to keep anything to myself but when Dalton had started kissing me in private, I was sure to take it to my grave.

It started with small touches, he'd started sitting next to me on the bus, Quinn making friends with some girl in the back and he'd place his jacket in between us. He would gently brush his pinky against mine until he'd found the courage to intertwine our fingers and no one was the wiser.

Dalton looked good. A few days prior, he'd shown up with a change. His hair was a darker blonde, it bordering a light brown and I wasn't sure if it was that or the fact that he hadn't had much sun but he was looking a little pale.

That pale made his eyes stand out even more and there was a smile that lingered in them. Dalton seemed warmer and holding my hand would spread that warmth to me, slightly. I tried to hide just how happy it made me, afraid he'd hesitate.

He'd let go every time someone got up to leave, averting his gaze to his phone curled in ringed fingers and it felt like a rush every time he found it safe to tangle his fingers in mine again.

And again and again and again.

Shortly after, he'd started brushing his hand against mine when he passed me in the hallways, sparing me a small smile every time that made my heart jump. I wasn't sure how I could've ever denied my attraction to him, he was cute in a mysterious way and ever since the day in his room, he'd been opening up a little more.

He'd started to sit with me at lunch, that was when I realized that he's accumulated a few friends in his short time here. Hale Powell was about my height with a very racially ambiguous -maybe East Asian but also maybe Islander, no one was really sure- look and that was about the only thing people didn't know about him. In a predominantly white high school, it attracted him enough attention that everyone pretty much knew his business. He was a senior that had gone through the entire freshman class of girls and he sold drugs...

A lot of drugs.

He always carried around a second book bag and I was sure the teachers knew as well but no one really wanted to mention it. He lived in a completely different neighborhood, one not even zoned for the school and he was the kind of guy that no one really wanted problems with.

He had wavy black hair and he was good looking, he was extremely good-looking with a goofy yet wicked kind of smile... almost like he always knew something you didn't and his eyes were framed by long lashes that made them look even more enticing. Hale Powell was bad news and Dalton was hanging out with him.

And a few of his friends that were less-known.

"Who this?" A cute kid with dark skin and even darker eyes had asked while stuffing his face with cafeteria food, he had barely spared a glance at Dalton, eyes staring me down like he was prepared for anything and I didn't doubt that. He was also overly attractive with almond shaped eyes and a model-esque pout all set-off with a sharp jawline... his body was lanky but built and he was gripping the spork like he wanted to shove it through my neck.

And I wouldn't have minded.

The last kid was unlike the other two and I was sure this was Hale's little brother, he had kind water-blue eyes and a baby face, bushy brows raised at the questioning as well.

I wasn't inclined on introducing myself, thinking that if I did, I'd somehow have been involved in something I didn't consent to. They were all extremely handsome and extremely dangerous and the former wasn't enough for me to be fine with the latter. Thankfully, Dalton had answered, his pinky slipping over to graze mine ever so slightly, like he was trying to comfort me.