0. Big Girls Don't Cry (Prologue)

Tora, 5 years old

"But, Daddy. I don't want a sister or a new Mommy." Tora said, hiding her tear streaked face in her white wolf stuffed animal instead of looking up at her stern faced father. The idea of a new sibling scared her and Tora had never had a Mommy, what if she were mean like the one in her 'Ella movie? She hiccupped as her Daddy lifted her from her spot in the chair and pulled her into his lap.

"Princess, Amelia's little girl is only a few years older than you. She's looking forward to meeting you, and you know Amy loves you." His voice was soothing, but it wasn't enough to convince Tora. Amelia was nice to her, and she gave her yummy cookies when Daddy wasn't looking, but that didn't mean that Tora wanted to share Daddy. He was hers.

"But why can't they live in their own house?" she demanded, kicking her little bare feet out stubbornly. Daddy said that if they came to live here that Amelia was going to clean out her quiet room for the other girl. Her little eyes teared up at the though. Tora had never had a Mommy, hers had gone to Heaven the day Tora had been given to Daddy from the Goddess. But, the quiet room had been her Mommy's special room and she didn't want to give that up. Daddy had made it just for her – he'd promised.

"Because, honey, Amelia and I are Mates, and we're married now. You remember what I told you about Mates, don't you?" He asked, pressing a hand against her dark curls, his brown eyes hopeful. Tora was so much like her mother sometimes, and this happened to be one of them. He'd known this was going to be a hard sell and the firm set of his five year old's jaw meant he was right. He was fearful that if he didn't sit down and talk with her, his attempt to bring his and Amelia's daughters together would fall apart. His wolf whimpered in his mind, torn between demanding that his only offspring accept his second chance Mate, or give up said Mate in order to please it's pup. Neither option was acceptable, in his mind. His child was his pride and joy, but he couldn't live without Amelia, not after the loss of Sara. Focusing on his daughter again, he watched as her uncertain brown eyes stared up at him, tears gathering in the corners. His gut twisted. He'd never wanted to upset his baby girl.

"Mates are forever," her little voice whispered, tugging at his heart strings. "But, Daddy, you promised that the quiet room was always gonna be mine." she added, pulling at the ear of her stuffed animal.

Guilt gnawed at his gut. Tora was right, he had promised that Sara's craft room would always be hers. He'd renovated it and added in a study nook for when she was older, and a wall of photos of Sara; her pregnancy, their moments together, their mating ceremony, her birth announcement to him. There was a book of memories he'd collected from family and friends, and he'd even framed Sara's mating dress for her. He'd created that room just for his daughter, who would never know what her mother was really like, and he was allowing Amelia to change the entire bedroom for Amber's happiness.

"Baby--" he began, not having anything to say to quell the uncomfortable twist in his chest.

"No!" She said, tossing her tiny body off of his lap, her face now a deep shade of red. "You promised!" Tears were streaming down the bright red apples of her little cheeks. "Daddies keep promises You said!" She screamed before running off in the direction of her quiet room, and he picked up on the door slamming behind her and muffled sobs.

"Goddess above," he murmured, running a hand across his face. Later tonight wasn't going to go down well.

* * * * *

"And Amber, this is Tora. Your new sister." Amelia said, smiling fondly as she bent down to hug Tora. Amber's eyes narrowed on the frizzy headed little girl, a frown forming on her face. At nine, Amber had no use for a five year old in the house. Why couldn't her mom have Mated someone with an older child? The little brown haired brat smiled shyly at her, and shuffled her way, offering up a tattered glittery rectangle.

"Hi, Amber." Her little voice said, shoving the construction paper card toward Amber even more. She'd spent a whole hour putting it together and had even had her Daddy help spell the words right. Tora had pouted in her quiet room for a while before realizing that the Goddess and her Mommy wouldn't want her to make Amy and her daughter feel bad. Or her Daddy. So, she'd made a card for Amber to welcome her.

"Thanks," Amber said dryly, yanking the card from Tora's outstretched hand after some telling looks from her mother. She huffed at the large block letters and the mass of glitter glue glopped on the page. Of course the kid couldn't do a better job. Amber rolled her eyes and waited until everyone had turned their backs before tossing the crappy card carelessly on a nearby table. She pushed her blonde hair behind her ear and pouted. She wanted to go back home, to her dad and her friends. And not be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a baby.

"The girls are getting along really well, don't you think?" Amelia asked perkily, placing a kiss against his jaw. Derek didn't respond, but kept a firm eye on his daughter despite the fact that Amber had wandered off to see the rest of the house. He'd noticed the looks she'd been shooting his little girl all night, and he wasn't comfortable with the way she was glaring in his baby's direction. Amelia placed a kiss on his Mark and his eyes jerked down to her slender form, his hands wrapping in her silky blond mane. Her eyes darkened in response to the way his other hand cupped her. Goddess, he was grateful for another chance at happiness. His mouth descended on her suddenly, drawing a gasp from her perfect lips. He chuckled when he pulled back, thoroughly enjoying the dazed look on his Mate's face.

"The girls are –" There was a sudden scream from far in the house and both parents rushed to the source of the noise. His heart seared with anger as he took in the sight. Amber stood on a chair in Tora's quiet room, arms full of pictures that were now torn in half from being pulled carelessly from the walls. He'd warned Amber not to touch Tora's quiet room and had promised to have everything of his darling's moved into this one by lunch tomorrow. Tora stood at the foot, sobbing, holding shreds of a few pictures in her tiny palms. With a determined stride, he marched toward Amber, pulled her carefully off of the chair and demanded that Amelia show her to the living room while he got Tora settled down and into bed.

An hour later, Derek walked tiredly toward the living room, where a grim faced Amelia and a smug looking Amber waited on him. In truth, he didn't want to deal with this tonight, but he'd promised Tora as she'd lain down for bed, tears glistening in her eyes. His baby girl was heartbroken and he couldn't help but feel that it was his fault. Anger surged again as he remembered the sight of those photos lying torn in her hands. Some of those were originals – he'd never be able to get them back for her.

"Derek, please don't --" Amelia began, looking like a protective mama bear ready to defend her young, only to be cut off by a shake of his head. He wasn't going to yell at Amber.

"What do you have to say for yourself, Amber?" He asked, his exhaustion clear in his voice. Both adults looked at the nine year old waiting for an answer, hoping she'd show some form of regret. Unfortunately, that's what they weren't going to get tonight.

With a shrug, Amber's green eyes looked up at them. "I wanted that room, so I took down the pictures. I don't know why you're mad, she wasn't all that pretty."