Chapter 42: We Have To Talk

"I love you too, Sophia."

Sophie's POV:

I drive over to my new apartment to collect my keys and go up to my room with my suitcases. I walk into a fully furnished, clean, spacious apartment. I put my stuff in the bed room and Skype Michael.

"Hey babe, show me your new place! Is it nice?"

I turn the back camera on and walk around showing him my new place, watching his reactions is priceless.

"That looks better than half of the hotels I've stayed in over seas! Can I move in?"

I turn the front camera back on and shake my head at him.

"No, I need time. I need time to myself, Michael, alone. To get my head around everything that's happened recently. Anyway I have to go to work. I'll call you later."

"Love you, babe. Bye!"

I hang up and rush down to my car to go to work.

***

I stop by the store to pick up some groceries on my way home, but I see someone that makes me want turn around and head towards the checkout with a pretty much empty trolley.

"Hey Soph..."

"It's Sophie to you."

"Ok. I see you took your stuff. I have to tell you that I wasn't lying about Lora being my cousin. If you didn't want to be with me anymore you could of just said so..."

"No, No I couldn't. You got so angry so quickly about everything I did. I wasn't allowed my own friends, I couldn't go out anywhere by myself, I never got any privacy and don't even get me started on what you talked me into doing with the baby...With me and Mike's baby! Just get out of my way, and don't ever talk to me again!"

I leave the trolley and walk out to my car, tears falling down my cheeks, smudging my makeup. I look down at my stomach as that horrible day comes into my mind.
'Michael did still love me, he would have came back if only I'd told him. Why didn't I tell him? Why did I let Anthony talk me into abortion? I've always been 100% against it and yet I let him persuade me to do it. I'll never meet my child, Mike will never know he could have had a child. I hate him and I never want to see him again!'

I start my car and drive back to my apartment and breakdown crying on my bed. I hear my phone and see Michael's silly face making me smile a bit. I wipe my face and answer.

"H...Hey Mikey."

"Hey baby, you've been crying. What's wrong?"

"I ran into Anthony when I went to get groceries tonight and we had a fight and I walked out. So I'm upset, angry, starving and I have no food."

"Awe baby, I would bring you food but it's a half an hour drive to you. And it's already 10pm. So I know you'll be ok, you're a problem solver...you'll figure something out you always do...I believe in you."

"Thanks Mike. I love you, I just wish you were here right now so I could be cuddled up in your arms."

"I wish you were cuddled up in my arms too. I love you so much baby-girl."

"I'm gonna go for a shower and go to bed, talk to you tomorrow babe."

"Sleep well."

I go for a shower and think of ways that I could possibly tell Mike about our baby. I know I have to do it in person and not via Skype calls. I have two days off next week, I'll drive into Riverstone and stay with him and find a way to tell him then.

***
Next day after work:
***

I pull up in my apartment car park and unload my groceries, someone grabs one of the bags from my car so I turn around and slap them instinctively. Until I notice it's Michael.

"I'm so so so sorry baby. I...I didn't know who it was and I've had a bad few days and I'm just so sorry."

"Hey, hey, it's ok baby girl. I deserved it, it could have been anyone. At least now I know that you can look after yourself."

"What are you doing here? You're supposed to be in Riverstone."

"I came to make sure that you're ok, and to keep you company."

"Awe Mikey! You're the best boyfriend ever."

We take the groceries up to my room and he spins around.

"It's way bigger than it looked on Skype."

He grabs my hips and pulls me to him.

"So you've finished haven't you?"

"Finished?"

"Your period."

"Oh, umm...yeah."

"Finally."

He starts kissing me roughly, his hands secured around my waist pushing me towards my room.

"Michael wait. We have to talk."

"Am I moving too fast? I'm sorry. I just can't help myself around you."

"It's not about that. I have to tell you about something that happened after you left to London after high school."

"Anything that happened back then is ancient history, let's just make the most of right now. Please I need you...like right now."

"No, it's important."

"It can wait."

"I was pregnant Michael!"

I put my hands over my mouth and tears well-up in my eyes. I didn't want to tell him like that, but he just wouldn't listen. He cares more about his obvious problem in his pants than the important news I need to tell him. I never thought he'd act like this, he's usually so caring and gentle with me.

"Who cares? Wait what? You're pregnant? With Anthony? I can't believe you! I thought you loved me!"

"I WAS pregnant, Michael. With OUR baby. I found out a couple weeks after you left me."

"We were gonna have a baby? What happened? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I got together with Anthony and he told me that you didn't care about me and wouldn't want anything to do with me, a baby would ruin your life. We were both 17. So...So I got an abortion, I wasn't ready, you weren't ready, and I wasn't going to raise our child with Anthony."

"It would have slowed down my career, yes, but I would of moved back and got a different job. I can't believe you'd just kill an innocent baby like that."

"It seemed like my only option at the time. I couldn't risk ruining your life."

Tears start to fall down my cheeks again and he pulls me close. I nuzzle my face in his warm neck as he rubs my back softly. Before pulling away roughly and running his hands through his hair angrily. He walks away from me and I don't bother to follow him, I collapse on my bed defeated.