Chapter 1: Back in Town...

All Rights Reserved...Fictional characters...

This story was inspired by the movie "My Best Friend's Wedding" starring Julia Roberts and from some events in my personal life that happened long ago.

Dedicated to @CailouDelaine

"Layla! You have a call!" shouted my assistant and close friend Michelle.

"Take a message." shouting back at her. I was currently working on a magazine cover spread and the deadline is tomorrow.

"I told him but he insisted you take it. He said it was important."

"He?" I say aloud. "Alright." grabbing the phone receiver. "Layla Mendez speaking..."

"Hey short stuff."

Stopping what I was doing I focused on the voice of the caller.

"Kiran?" asking shocked. I couldn't believe it was him... my best friend of fifteen years.

"Who else calls you short stuff?" hearing him try to be serious.

"Oh, well, ya know,a few men besides you." I joked making him grunt.

"Really? Cause I thought I was the only one. Who are the bastards that dare call my best girl short stuff?"

Keeping in my laughter. "Aww, is someone upset?"

Silence. "Tell me you are kidding and then I will tell you if I am or not."

I started laughing. "Kiran, trust and believe there isn't any other man calling me that. I wouldn't let them. You know I don't even like you calling me that."

"Good and too bad short stuff. That has always been and always will be my nickname to you. I will make sure no other guys call you that."

I shook my head. He is right, from the second we met back in the sixth grade he's called me that and fifteen years later he still does, which is annoying. I'm twenty six years old for goodness sake.

"Alright, alright. So, to what do I owe the honor of your call Doctor Evans?"

"Well my dear photographer, I wanted to let you know that I am back in town."

My eyes widened and a loud squeal came out of my mouth. Yeah I know, childish. "Oh my God Kiran! You're back? When? Why didn't you call me? Wait, who picked you up?" I asked without taking a breath.

"Layla breathe sweetheart..." trying to calm my excitement. "We came in late last night. I didn't want to wake you and plus, I wanted to surprise you."

"We?" I asked. Who did he come with?

"Um, yeah. That's why I came back to the States and why I called you."

"O-kay." drawing the word. Kiran was hiding something. His voice breaks off when he's nervous.

"Short stuff, I've met someone and I want you to meet her." he let out causing me to drop the phone and fall on my ass from the chair I was about to sit on.

"Layla? Layla are you alright?" asking in a concerned voice. Thank God he wasn't in front of me, that would have been embarrassing.

"Um, yeah sorry. I, um, dropped the phone. So, you were saying?" I tried acting nonchalantly.

"I met someone. Her name is Amelia. I want you to meet her short stuff. I think you two will get along great." saying enthusiastically.

"Wow, Kiran I-I..." I stuttered. I was trying to digest the fact that my best friend just told me he had a girlfriend. A girlfriend I have never heard about before.