Chapter 5

"Alexander," Eliza said, her hands on her hips. Alexander squirmed, not wanting to talk about the subject he knew Eliza was about to bring up.

"You need to ask him out, and you know it. You can't keep all your feelings bottled up."

"I, just need to, you know, wait for it, you know? Like, wait for the right time." Alexander muttered quietly.

"Wait for it? Alexander, you know that waiting for things is not your forte. I think you've been hanging out with Aaron too much, hm?" Eliza asked, turning her head so that she could see Alexander's face.

"That's true. You know what, I want to make a deal with you."

"And what would that deal be?"

"Okay, here's the deal: I have to ask John out by Wednesday, which leaves me Monday, Tuesday, and part of Wednesday."

"And what happens if you bail?"

"You can...give me a makeover," Alexander muttered, his face shriveling at the thought of sitting on a chair for an hour. Eliza stuck her hand out, and Alexander shook it. That was it.

Alexander was going to ask John out.

———

"That was a nice dinner, huh?" John asked, stuffing his hands in his pocket. He looked over at Alexander, who looked deep in thought. It was in that moment that John realized how short Alexander really was.

'That's cute.' He thought, a small smile on his face. 'He's cute.'

"What are you thinking about, Alexander?" A chill went down Alexander's spine when he heard John say his full name. Sure, a bunch of people called him Alexander, but John usually called him Alex, and the way John said the name sounded so, well, elegant.

"Alex?" John asked, which snapped the boy out of his thought. Alexander quickly thought of something to say that didn't have to do with John.

"Oh, um, I was just thinking about how crazy it is that that founding father, uh, Lin-Manuel Miranda wrote so much, you know?" Alexander said, quickly realizing how stupid that sentence sounded.

"I agree with you, Alex. You know, he kind of reminds me of you."

"Who? Lin? Why?"

"Yes, Lin, and because, you both really like to write. Like, a lot." John said, and the two boys laughed. Soon enough they had reached their dorm, where they both collapsed onto their beds. John pulled out a book to read, and Alexander laid down on his bed, bored. The dorm was silent for a good five minutes until they heard a knock on the door. Alexander got up to open it, grateful for the opportunity to actually do something.

"Hello, I'm looking for John Laurens?" John got up at the sound of his name, and a grin spread across his face when he saw the man in the doorway.

"Sam!" John shouted, and ran towards the man, hugging him tightly.

"John, it's so good to see you again!" Alexander raised an eyebrow, confused on what was happening.

"Alex, this is my friend, Samuel Adams," John said, stepping back so that the boys could shake hands.

"You can call me Sam."

"It's nice to meet you, Sam. My name is Alexander Hamilton, it's a pleasure to meet you. And please, do call me Alex." John smirked at how formal Alexander always sounded.

"So, Sam, what brought you to New York?" John asked, sitting down on the sofa in their dorm.

"Well, I'm going down south to visit some old family friends, and my trip had to cut through New York, and so I thought, why not visit John Laurens? And so here I am."

"Wow. So what are you doing with your life, man?"

"Well, I'm thinking about making a drink. You know, like beer and stuff."

"What are you going to name it?"

"How about Sam Adams?" Alexander said, his legs swinging.

"Yeah, that's a great name, Alex! John, your dorm mate is amazing. Don't know how he ended up with you." The three boys talk for the next few hours until Sam realized how late it was and left, making sure to give his number to both the boys.

"He was nice," Alexander said, pushing his hair off of his face. John nodded, too involved in his book to answer.

"We should probably go to bed, it's like, what, eleven?" Alexander, pulling his blanket close to his face.

"You're right. Goodnight, Hamilton." John quietly said, wondering if Alexander had heard the use of his last name. He considered that he had probably fallen asleep, as he heard no response. He closed his eyes, exhausted.

"Goodnight, Laurens."

———

"Well, good luck, Alex, and don't get into any fights, okay?" John said. Alexander nodded, and the two boys headed towards their classes. Alexander arrived at his law class five minutes early, and he sat down next to a large man.

"Hi, I'm Alexander Hamilton," Alexander said, stretching his hand out so that the man could shake it. He watched as the man coughed into his elbow for at least fifteen seconds, before shaking hands with Alexander.

"James Madison. I'm sorry, I've just got a bit of a cold." James said, smiling. Alexander smiled back, glad to know that there were at least some nice people in the law building. Thank god that Thomas Jefferson wasn't-

"Eh, James, what did I tell you about talking to gross immigrants like him?" Thomas yelled, making his way towards Alexander.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry, I completely forgot his name and, uh, I'm sorry," James said, a pout on his face.

"Wait, hold up, how do you know that I'm an immigrant?" Alexander asked, anger boiling in his stomach. He did not like to talk about his past.

"Eh, I know a guy that knows a guy who knows a guys cousin who knows how to get into files. Now go get yourself another seat." Thomas snapped, and Alexander got up and sat more towards the front of the classroom, far away from Thomas.

"Hey Alexander, I see you've met Thomas again." Alexander jumped, not even realizing that Aaron was sitting next to him.

"Yeah, I most defiantly had." Alexander spat, anger still boiling up inside him. He watched as a tall man walked into the classroom, right as the clock hit seven-thirty.

"Hello everyone, I'm your teacher, Mr. Washington. I look forward to teaching you all law this school year. I want you all to know that I do not and will not put up with any fighting, is that clear?" Mr. Washington said clearly, and everyone nodded, all slightly frightened but also fascinated by the teacher.

"Today, students, we will be debating."

a.n

omg thank you guys for commenting and voting and everything :) I'm sorry this chapter is kind of a filler but I'm trying to slow things down between John and Alexander :)) if you guys have any ideas or things you want me to put in the story feel free to comment them :)))