Chapter 9

"Are you ready yet?" John said, facing the wall.

"Almost."

"Hey, Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"Are you self-conscious about your body?" Alexander's head shot up, and he immediately pulled his shirt over his head to hide the scars and bruises of sickness and foolishness from his broken boyhood, something he most definitely didn't want to talk about

"Um, no, I just don't like changing in front of people."

"Oh, okay." Alexander grabbed John's hand, and the couple made their way out of their dorm building. They finally made it to the Italian restaurant that John wouldn't stop talking about. A waiter took them to a small table in the corner of the cozy restaurant, and they sat down, content wi.th the table.

"Your waiter will be here with menus in just a moment." The man said and they smiled at each other as he walked towards the kitchen.

"I can't believe this is our first date."

"I know." John smiled and Alexander, and nearly choked on his own breath when he saw the waitress approaching their table.

"Martha Mannings, is that you?" John said, his eyes wide in shock.

"Oh my goodness, John!" The waitress said, and rushed over, giving John a hug.

"Alex, this is my friend, Martha," John said, sitting back down in his seat.

"Nice to meet you," Alexander said, shaking the girl's hand.

"Okay, well, are you guys ready to order?" she asked, and she said another 'nice to see you' to John before making her way to the kitchen.

"She's nice," Alexander said, pulling his napkin onto his lap.

"Yeah. Alex, you still haven't told me where you're from."

"Um, I'm from New York."

"Yeah, and I'm from California. Seriously, Alex, we both know that you don't even know how to get on the subway or hail a taxi."

"I'm from New York. Okay? Let's talk about something else."

"Fine, what do you want to talk about?"

"I don't know."

"Well, do you have any-" John was cut off when Martha brought them their food. They both start eating, both them starving from the small breakfasts that they ate that morning. John finally called for the bill when he had made sure Alexander was done eating.

"John, I'll pay."

"Alex, it's okay, I got it."

"Please let me pay, John."

"No."

"Please, can I pay?"

"Baby, it's fine, I can pay." Alexander immediately shut up, his cheeks red.

"Here you go, Martha. It was nice to see you again." John said, smiling at the girl.

"It was nice to see you, John. Here's my number. Call me when you can." Martha winked at John, and Alexander immediately turned his head towards the girl.

"I hate to break it to you, but John is my boyfriend, so please back off."

"Boyfriend?" Martha asked, resting her hand on her hip.

'Boyfriend?' John thought, blushing slightly. 'Alex has never called me that.'

"Yes, boyfriend, but I can understand why you're so unfamiliar with the term, considering you've probably never had one."