Chapter XIV:Is It A Rescue Mission If The Person Rescued Doesn't Need Rescuing?

"Mabel?" Dipper whispered in disbelief. He shot a look at Bill who looked just as surprised as Dipper. But before Dipper could say anything he was pulled into a tight hug by Mabel. "I missed you so bad, bro-bro!" She said and started crying on Dipper's shirt. Dipper rubbed her back, unsure of what to say or do. "I'll leave you two alone and I'll see you there." Bill whispered in Dipper's ear, but Mabel heard him. She stopped sobbing and started listening to the conversation between the couple: "And how am I supposed to find you?!" Dipper asked annoyed and Bill shrugged his shoulders. "You've got 20 PhDs, figure something out." He said and Dipper muttered: "Jerk!". Bill smirked and mouted 'bitch', which earned him a glare from Dipper. 'What? You asked for it!' Bill's voice said inside of Dipper's head. "Dumb dorito!" Dipper muttered and Bill turned around to leave as he chuckled at Dipper's annoyance. Dipper grabbed Bill's arm and yanked the demon towards him.
"What, you're going to leave without giving me at least a kiss?!" Dipper asked and Bill smirked. "Well, I'll kiss you only if you ask me nicely." He teased and Dipper rolled his eyes before saying: "Bill, would you please kiss me?" Bill chuckled and kissed Dipper's cheek. "You could've done better. Now I'll see you later, kid!" He said and left the house leaving the twins alone. Dipper turned his head to Mabel, who was looking at him in pure shock. "Since I see you won't tell me what happened I guess I'll just have to ask, so what happened?" Dipper asked after a few minutes of silence.
"Oh, nothing, it's just kind of weird seeing you act so...friendly towards Bill after everything he did to you." She said rather coldly and Dipper was left speechless. "So I see you don't really approve of my boyfriend once you know all the details." He said just as coldly and took a step back. "And you were always about love being blind. And you even shipped me and Bill in high school, in case you forgot." He snarled and Mabel didn't say anything for a few good minutes."I was a teenager. I didn't know any better. But then I grew up and saw what that asshole to you. How do you think I can just let you date him when because of him you stayed up countless of nights, afraid of the nightmares you'd have to endure if you tried to sleep. Or the panic attacks. Or the isolation from everyone and everything, even me. Or that obsession you had for him that was taking up all your time and energy for years. I'm sorry! I wish I could believe you and be happy for you, but I can't!" Mabel said while choking back tears. Dipper took a step further, trying to confront her, but Mabel took a step back and shook her head.
"No." She said as she whiped the tears that formed in the corners of her eyes. "I want you to look me in the eye and tell me that you love Bill despite everything he did to you. Actually scratch that, I want you to get your shit togheter and realize who we are talking about here. I...I want my brother back. Because you may look like my brother, but you don't act like him at all." She spat out and looked down at her shoes while sobbing silently. Dipper was once again left speechless. Silence fell between them but Mabel broke it after a few minutes. "What the hell happened with your hair anyway? Why did you cut it? Also we're not in high school anymore, Dip-Dop, random streaks of colour in your hair just don't look good." She said as she looked at her brother and stopped sobbing. Dipper was about to say something, but Mabel cut him off:
"How about we take a walk?" She askes with an obviously fake smile on her face. Dipper wasn't in mood to argue with her so shortly after they saw eachother for the first time in 10 years, and especially after the speech he had just witnessed, so he agreed. "Sure." They left the house and started walking through the forest, in complete silence.
"You asked me why I cut my hair. Well, for years, Bill insisted that it was inconvenient considering what we do for a living and he was right. But that's not the reason. The reason is that...Bill kept braiding my hair." Dipper said, breaking the silence. "So, hold on, he's allowed to braid your hair and I'm not?!" Mabel asked as she turned to her brother. "No, but I can't stop him. You, on the other hand, is a completely different story."?He said with a laugh and Mabel lightly punched his shoulder. "But, what do you do for a living that would require you to cut your hair for safety reasons?"?Mabel asked and Dipper chuckled. "Well, my official job is top secret and I can't tell you here, because we could be heard, but in my free time I travel with Bill through dimensions and examine the beings that live there. And that implies a lot of fighting and running. It's kind of dangerous." He said and Mabel looked at him horrified. "Good thing I don't have to fight anything. That's Bill's job. I only collect the information."He added and Mabel calmed down, but only a bit. Even if her brother was beaming everytime he was referring to Bill, she was still skeptical about her brother's feelings towards the demon. But she kept in the back of her mind the reason she came here and came up with a plan.
She took Dipper's glasses and ran off to a spot only she knew. And, as expected, Dipper followed her. "Mabel, stop this! I'm really not in mood for this crap! Just give me back my glasses!" He yelled and when he couldn't see his siter anymore. But somebody yanked him towards them from behind and he fell. In a matter of seconds he realized he didn't touched the ground so he closed his eyes. After what felt an eternity his body finally colided with the ground, but the ground wasn't soft like grass, but rather cold and hard like stone.
He opened his eyes and recognised the place on spot. Somebody, which he guessed was Mabel, handed him his glasses and he snatched them angrily from the person's hand. He put them on but nothing changed. He still couldn't see a thing because of how dark it was there. And then a realization hit him: he left the second dimension without Bill's approval, which meant their deal was off. Which meant that the whole third dimension was screwed. Of course, in this scenario he wasn't thinking about how betrayed and heartbroken Bill was gonna feel. And that was an other problem. A problem only he cared about.
"Mabel." He said in a broken voice. He was terrified. He knew that Bill wouldn't ever hurt him, after all the demon loved him. But he knew that Bill wouldn't have a problem hurting the others. And he'd seen the demon angry, not at him, of course, but that doesn't mean he was any less terrifying in Dipper's eyes. "Yes?" Mabel's voice came from the darkness that was surrounding him and Dipper was torn between being terrified and angry. The latter one won."We're doomed." He said emotionless and Mabel stepped closer to him, until they were so close they could faintly see eachother. "What do you mean?" She asked and Dipper said between gritted teeth:
"I had a deal with Bill. And thanks to you now it's broken. Which means he'll be furios, not mad, furios. And he's going to tear apart this dimension and everyone that lives in it." "And we'll stop him. We defeated him once. We can do it again!" Mabel said and Dipper snapped: "No! We can't defeat him! He's immortal! And we didn't defeat him the first time! We just weakened him! And now he's even more powerful! There's no way we can stop him and the worst part is that I had it under control!' "Yeah? How? Leaving everything and everyone and being his toy?! Being the source of amusement for a dream demon, the one who previously ruined your life, is having it under control?!" Mabel yelled and Dipper sighed.
"I'll go to sleep. I'm very tired." He muttered and walked right out of the underground laboratory and headed inside the shack. He went in his bedroom and looked around the room. Everything was still the same as 10 years ago. He went over to the desk from the corner of the room and saw a dusty stack of polaroids. He brushed the dust off them with his hand and started looking through the pictures.
And if until now he ignored the thought of how heartbroken Bill was gonna be, now he just couldn't ignore it anymore. Seeing all these pictures of them, smiling, happy, togheter and hopelessly in love with eachother just made his heart break at the thought of what Bill must be feeling now. And the most frustrating part was that it wasn't even his fault. He didn't want to leave, and Mabel obviously knew that hence why she tricked him into leaving.
And now he was angry again. He was angry at Mabel. He understood where she was coming from, but he was sure he made it clear that he was happy.
He sighed and put the pictures back on the desk. There was nothing he could do. The portal needed a huge amount of energy and he was sure he couldn't go and steal some. Not after Mabel just stole it. He realized it would be a lost cause to even try now. And he also couldn't apologise to Bill. They were a dimension apart and he couldn't remember the summoning spell.
A yawn broke his train of thought and he just acknowledged how tired he was. He was a bit confused, why he was tired, since in the past 10 years he hasn't been tired once, but be decided to don't really bother with it now. He took off his glasses and put them on the desk.
He headed to bed and without even bothering to even think about changing his clothes, he laid down and fell asleep in a matter of seconds.