I'm Not Alone

"Let me go!" Maggie yelled at the top of her lungs. Punching and kicking, trying to get off the man's grip.
The man was taking her down to the basement but it wasn't dark. It was lit up by one small blue light bulb at the top of the staircase.
Laughter could be heard coming from the bottom of the stairs.
They reached a colorful curtain with flower decorations on it.
Maggie stopped screaming and looked at the curtain.

The man opened the curtain and it revealed dozens of girls, all ages. The laughter died out once Maggie was brought in. All the girls stood up next to their beds. They stared at her from to curtain all the way to the other side of the basement.

"Take care of her," the man ordered one of the girls. He sat Maggie on the girl's bed and soon left.
Maggie lightly sobbed, the girl sat next to her on the bed and rubbed her back.

"It's okay, you're okay." The girl whispered to her. Her sobs stopped and she looked up at the girl.
She had hazel colored eyes and long brown hair. The girl smiled at her, so Maggie smiled back.
"My name's Irene, what's yours?" Her voice was soothing to Maggie, it helped her feel less tense.

"Maggie," she answered in a low voice.
Irene nodded at her and hugged her.
"That's a beautiful name!" Maggie's face went red as four girls walked up to the bed.
One girl sat next to them on the bed and was holding a small pink bow.

"Here," she placed the bow on Maggie's hair with a warm smile, "a gift from all of us."
"Thank you," Maggie said to the girl and everyone went 'awe' at her response.
"My name is Alex, by the way!" Alex smiled, "It's short for Alexandra." She pushed her black hair back. Alex had different characteristics than the other girls. Most girls had brown hair and eyes, whilst Alex had curly black hair and bright blue eyes.

"How old are you?" A girl asked from the three girls standing next to the bed.

"I'm five years old," Maggie responded. Irene and Alex looked at each other in wide eyes.
"Wow," Irene started. She gulped before she continued.
"You're the youngest one here." Her eyes sparkled, she was about to start crying.
Before the mood got depressing, Alex stepped in.

"Umm, are you hungry?" Alex asked and Maggie's stomach growled, causing all the girls to starts laughing. Including Maggie.
Alex chuckled, "Okay, I'll be right back!"
Maggie nodded and the black haired girl ran past the big curtain. Irene decided to give Maggie another hug, this time it lasted longer.

"Hey, Irene!" A girl walked to the bed in excitement.
"Yeah?" Irene responded breaking apart the hug.
"Godmother is coming tomorrow morning!" The girl started to dance around. Irene's eyes lit up and laughed.

"That's great! I really missed her," Maggie looked at them in confusion.
Irene chuckled at Maggie's facial expression.
"Godmother is this really nice woman that visits us every other week." She started.
"She takes care of us and keeps us away from the dangers of the outside."

It's obvious that these girls have been practically brainwashed by these people. If the so called 'Godmother' really protected them from outside, they would not be there. It's worrying how long they have been locked out and have been abused.

"Maybe tomorrow she can baptize you!" The girl says as she stopped dancing.
"What does that mean?" Maggie asks as she rubs her eyes.

"It means that she will accept you into the family and change your name." Irene answers the question.
Maggie nods.

Alex can be seen walking into the basement with a plate and cup in hand. She walked up to the bed.
"C'mon, let's sit you down on the table over there." Maggie got off the bed and walked over to a table in the corner of the room. She sat on a chair and Alex placed the food in front of her.
Maggie was so hungry, she finished in just a few minutes.

Alex was seated next to her the whole time and was impressed at how hungry poor Maggie was.
"So, where are your parents?" Alex asked as she pushed Maggie's hair behind her ear.
"My mommy..." Maggie quickly got off the chair and ran to the flower curtain.

"Maggie, wait!" Alex ran behind Maggie. She was way faster than the 5-year-old and was able to stop her before she reached the staircase.
"I want my mommy!" Maggie began to start crying.
'Shut up's and 'Be quiet's were heard from the other girls in the basement as some tried to sleep.

"Where- where's your mommy?" Alex tried calming down Maggie.
"She's up there!" Maggie pointed up the staircase and Alex looks up.
Alex understands what happened to Maggie.
"Was your mommy with a man that had a lot of gold necklaces?" Maggie nodded as she wiped her tears.

Alex for sure does know what happened to her. She did, in fact, go through the same.
Her father sold her because he had debts with someone.
Not to mention her father was an alcoholic that spent so much of the money he had, Alex had to drop out of school in order to work.
People can be broken in so many ways.

"C'mon Maggie, this is a...um," she stopped to think what she could say in order to stop Maggie from breaking down.
"This is a sleepover!" Alex said.
Maggie looked up to her and through tears said, "Really?"
Alex nodded, "Yes! C'mon you can sleep in my bed tonight, okay?"
Maggie nodded and walked with Alex.

Her bed was the same size as the rest and they weren't that big. She pulled the duvet up and picked up Maggie and laid her on the bed.
"Let's get cozy," Alex laughed as she laid down next to Maggie. She brought the duvet up to them.
Alex hummed to Maggie and played with her to make her go to sleep.

Once she was sure Maggie was asleep, she got up from the bed and tucked Maggie in.
Alex walked over to one of the cabinets. Each girl had only one drawer with their clothes inside.

Alex took out a black tight dress and quickly got changed so she could spend some more time on her makeup.
She walked back to her bed and pulled out a pair of high heels from under it.

Just as she was walking to one of the mirrors, Irene was already there.
"It's sad, huh?" Irene says as she applies more blush.

"It baffles me how some parents can do things to children, she's practically still a baby," Alex says digging through the makeup.
"Wait, you know where her parents are?" Irene looks at her.

"No, but I'm pretty sure her mother sold her." Alex shakes her head in disappointment.
"I don't even understand why her parents don't seem to care about her," Irene says in frustration.

"Don't you think that's something all of our parents lack," Alex says applying her mascara.
By "all of our parents" she means all the girls stuck with her in that basement. All the girls that had been sold by their parents because they wanted money or had debt with the man that owns the mansion.
The girls who had their childhood ripped away from him and forced to pleasure older men.
Or also known as pedophiles.
Many who's innocence was taken from them unfairly.
Most of the girls probably didn't even know what sex was until they were forced into prostitution.

As sad as it sounds, this does happen under our noses. But, people either don't care or others do not try hard enough to find out.
Those who do help girls under such situations, are not recognized on the news or any sort of media.
I guess, knowing what a celebrity ate today is more important than this country's future, right?
What a world we live in.