Caretaker (Edward X Reader)

I'M NOT DEAD I PROMISE

And have some nice Final Fantasy music to listen to while you read :3

Ugh, I did not like how this turned out.

~~~~~~~

The sun was blistering hot, as always, especially in this type of environment.  The Caribbean ocean was never cool but it rained periodically.  Thankfully, a breeze was blowing today, making the blistering sand less hot and the humidity to a low; it was actually comfortable to sit on the beach and drink without feeling like dying of heat stroke.  And the beach was where you were, with a stiff drink in your hand.  Being a part of the infamous Edward Kenway's crew on the Jackdaw was nice and all, but it was so refreshing not having to deal with other pirates and the Spanish ships on the deadly seas.  Sure you would get in a minute or two of the views and salty air, but it never lasted long before Kenway was hollering out orders for you to adjust the riggings. 

You sighed happily as the waves crashed along the shore, loud and refreshing to hear, despite hearing them whilst on the Jackdaw.  Something about the sound was different when you weren't trying to battle them on the ship, it was peaceful really, no having to try and keep your balance on the dock.  You swigged the last of your drink, suddenly deciding it was time for a walk along the beach, and maybe into the forest clearing that was nearby.  (If you're thinking you're drunk you're not XD)  Getting up onto your feet and dusting your rear off from the sand, you made your way over to Edward's crew who had made up camp.  You were to let them know where you were off to.

Kenway had docked his ship not long ago on a lone, but huge, island to set up camp for the day.  The crew had battled a storm the night before, none had enough energy to do their duties.  Edward decided making camp for them to rest for the day was the best thing for them and you, including himself.  You managed to get some sleep, but you wanted to take in the sights and sounds and smells without having any worries of storms or enemy ships.  A mug of ale and a quiet place to sit was what you needed.

You made it over by the bonfire some of the men had stared.  Your eyes scanned for Kenway but saw no sign of him.  He must have been in his cabin on the ship, sleeping probably.  You placed your mug on a nearby tree stump.

"I'm goin' off on my own for a bit.  Stretch my legs." you say to one of your ship mates.  "If Edward or anyone needs me," you turn to point to the clearing that goes into the forest, "I'll be walking along there."

He returns a quick 'aye' and nods.

Checking your gear, sword at your hip and pistol on the other, you made your way onto your path.  The breeze began to pick up then, which felt nice in this thick jungle.  You were really enjoying your time here.  But what you didn't realize, that this breeze also partially blocked your hearing, so you couldn't hear what was around you.  This is a lone island, you thought, nothing could be out here. 

You went on, mind clear and with a smile on your face.  Today was a good day.

~~~~~~~~~

Today was not a good day, at least for Kenway anyways.  A headache, sore arms and legs from trying to maneuver the helm during the previous storm.  He was a mess.  And on top of that, he couldn't find you.

Walking down the plank and planting his feet into the sand, Edward rubbed his tired eyes and proceeded to the bonfire, instantly grabbing himself a cup of ale.  He chugged it down immediately. 

"Thomas!" he said to the crewman next to him.  "Have you seen (y/n)?"

The pirate chugged down what was in his mouth and wiped with his arm.