The vampire's wolf-Chapter 10-The right kind of pain

“Pain is one of the strongest emotions we can feel. It can ruin our lives if we allow it. Or we can use our pain to become powerful, even unstoppable. Who knows. It all depends on what path we choose.”

Lucian’s P.O.V.

There was no trace of the rouges left in Chicago. When Alex and Rayne cleared that nest the rest of the rouges that were settled there fled as soon as they could. The covens, packs and all of the rest of the paranormal beings in that area were grateful for what was done.

And I got a phone call from Black himself. The fucker was scary even when he was taking on the phone.

I was watching TV in the living room, being a lazy ass and having my feet up on the table-Nicholas wasn’t home, so I didn’t have to fear him thwacking me over the head with a frying pan for doing that- when my phone ringed.

My first hope was for it to be Dimitri, but that soon went out of the window when I saw how early in the ‘morning’-more like afternoon- it was. So, next best guess would be Alexander, but he never calls if there isn’t a life or death situation going on and I don’t believe something serious like that can happen while training in the gym in town. Then I thought it was Nicholas, but he was at the library picking up some books and when he has his ‘Nicholas loves books and books love Nicholas’ time, he wouldn’t call even if WW III was starting.

I decided to finally pick up the phone after pondering who the heck it was and after seeing the caller ID my blood ran cold. Shit. This was one guy that I did not want to keep waiting.

“Hello.” I said in my ‘King of the coven’ voice.

“I wanted to congratulate you. First for finding your mate, then for clearing Chicago of rouges.” The deep, ice cold voice held the authority and power of a vampire that could’ve cleared Chicago of rouges on his own in a matter of hours.

“Thank you. I didn’t think you’d bother with that.” tsk. Of course he’d bother with it. Chicago was cleared of rouges, but it doesn’t mean it’ll stay that way for long. And the next time the rouges do something as stupid as attack a coven or something similar, Black will send his men and if he feels like it, go himself and that means the rouges will have one hell of a time. They’ll probably commit mass suicide instead of face Black.

“You sent the coven’s and the pack’s best, how could I not notice that?” his voice was thick, powerful, but held a twinge of amusement.

I bet he was a sadist. With how powerful he was, he could make people squirm as much as he wanted. And damn, he probably didn’t have to say a thing either, his looks would do all the work for him.

“Well, anyway, I know you didn’t just call me to congratulate me. So, with all due respect, what is it that you want?” okay, let’s get something straight, I don’t know how to talk with the mighty vampire on the other end of the phone. Cutting straight to the chase seemed like the best option.

There was an exhale and a pause. “That’s true. I wanted to notify you of my visit.” I stopped. Say what?!

“You’re visiting?” I tried to maintain a leveled voice.

“Yes. A visit with the addition of removing a really serious threat.” A threat? What the hell is going on?

“I don’t understand. What threat?” Dammit. What could be that big of a threat for Black to have to come here?

“I’ll explain when I get there. In the meantime you might want to alert the Alpha.” I sighed.

“When are you coming exactly?”