Chapter 5

*Brenda's POV*

      October has arrived and with it, something I do not enjoy. Okay I should be excited about my birthday and turning 16 but honestly, I hate having all that attention and such a big thing made out of it. I thought now this year since I wasn't at home, I'd be able to ignore it but sadly, I was wrong.

      On October 2nd, The Tide lads burst into the flat as myself, Megan and the New Hope boys were settling down to breakfast. "NO GET OUT TIDE BOYS IM ALREADY OUT OF FOOD" I yelled, but they moved into the kitchen anyway, Levi taking half the slice of toast on Megan's plate and biting into it, while Nate sat down in front of my bowl of cereal and started eating. "Oh for god's sake Nate, now I'm gonna starve!" I waved my arms in the air, unsure myself why I was in such a bad mood this morning.

      "Lighten up Brenda, it's Blake's birthday! Little baby is 16 today!" Drew teased and the others laughed, Megan then commenting, "I still can't believe I'm older than you" Blake rolled his eyes, "I'm not the baby anymore, Brenda's younger than me!" The realisation then washed over me, "OH MY GOD I'M SORRY," then ran to my room to retrieve the present I'd got him, "I didn't forget your birthday I swear" I laughed, handing him the box. The rest of the room were glancing around suggestively, since no-one else had gotten him an actual present, only gift vouchers for different things.

      "Aw thank you Brenda" Blake moved to hug me, but before he could, I crossed my arms over my body, "Open it already I wanna see your reaction!" I whined. The whole room was still watching the scene with humour and curiosity as he tore the wrapping paper off the box to find my own Liverpool shirt I had planted as a literal red herring. He raised an eyebrow at me but before he could ask, Megan had already worked out my plan, "Look for an envelope under Brenda's shirt" she explained. When he found it, he opened it and his eyes widened immediately, the smile on my face growing, enjoying his reaction. "Are you for real? How much did these cost?" Blake exclaimed throwing the tickets on the table and hugging me tightly, my cheeks heating up slightly at the faces of Nate and Drew smirking at me.

      "Blake what, she got you VIP United tickets and you aren't even dating her!" George had now inspected the tickets and decided to comment on them. "Yeah well, I'm a great friend if y'all haven't realised yet" I joked before Levi chipped in, "Um my birthday is November, just a little heads up"

      Nate had now finished eating my cereal and elbowed Austin who was seated beside him, "You didn't tell them yet" he vaguely stated, Austin's face flashing quickly from confusion to recalling what he meant. "Oh yeah! So Blake, happy birthday dude first off, and everyone knows Brenda's birthday is on Saturday," I groaned as he said this but he continued talking, "So we," he paused to signal everyone present in the room excluding Blake and I, "have planned you two this huge joint party on Saturday night!" Everyone began to get excited, whereas I drifted off to my room for a moment alone.

      It wasn't long though before Drew was knocking on my door, "Are you okay? Can I come in?" he asked. I nodded and he moved to sit beside me and look out the window like I was. "What's up?" he asked. In that moment, I had no idea what came over me, but I burst into tears, Drew pulling me into him and whispering quietly to calm me down. Once I calmed down, Drew cautiously let me go, "Are you ready to talk to me now? Or should I get Nate instead?" he asked. "Nate please" I whispered and in a flash, he was there.

      "What's causing this anxiety Brenda?" He traced shapes on my hand while sitting cross legged across from me on my bed, "Is it the idea of the party? Is something bothering you? You know you can tell me anything"

      "Nate, I can't go to this party on Saturday," I tried to be as firm as I could but my voice was still shaking. "Brenda, it's your birthday, it's not that easy for you to avoid it" Nate sighed. "But just make it about Blake and then I don't have to be there!" I tried to argue but Nate countered with, "But he'll want you there and you know it" my head falling in frustration.