Chapter 15

[(AN: Hey I'll make this short and sweet. I tried to make up for the last chapter being too short and i think i acheived my goal. but also because heath's diologue was way bigger than i thought it was going to be because i had to write a lot to get the story out. so ya'lls christmas present is going to be big!!! im excited and i think you all should be too!! so read, enjoy, vote and comment to tell me how im doing!! ps- HAPPY THANKSGIVING(: )]

XV

Finally, we were sailing towards the most beautiful sight I had ever seen; land! A pair of gulls flew overhead and I laughed with pure joy. The sun had already set and the last few beams of daylight were quickly being extinguished.I was so happy to see solid rocks and cliffs instead of just the blue ocean. I smiled and closed my eyes, leaning over the rail and enjoying the tiny mists of salt water tickle my face and arms.

The bell rang for dinner but I ignored it.

“It’s good to be home.” Heath’s voice surprised me.

“Mmmm-hmmm.”

He leaned against the rail next to me, staring out across the water at the lights on the cliffs.

“I’m sure you’ll be happier when we dock tonight.” I said.

“We won’t be docking tonight.”

My happiness about land was just crushed.

“I know, I feel the same way. I love the sea, there’s nothing on earth quite like it; but sometimes I need to be home, with my family, my friends.” He trailed off. I sensed there was more he wasn’t telling me. And I had a feeling that what he wasn’t telling me was the reason why we couldn’t dock tonight.

“What’s it like? Living here? Is it different than where I’m from?”

“Not really. It’s pretty much the same. There are still farms and merchants, old maids and cows. Thieves and Kings.”

“Any pretty girls?”

“I wouldn’t be the one to ask.”

“Oh? And why not? I’d have thought you’d be the perfect one to ask. You have such a way with women.” I said, winking.

He chuckled and looked at his hands, then back out at the water.

“I didn’t have much time to get to know people outside of my circle.”

It was silent for a while. I let all of this new information sink in. I hadn’t heard Heath speak so much about his life all at once, and I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss a single word of it.

“When we dock tomorrow, will there be anybody waiting for you? Like your mother or sister or brothers?”

“I hope not.”

“Heath! Why on earth—“

He turned and looked right at me and I stopped instantly. His eyes were intensely staring straight into mine. I knew he was about to tell me something he didn’t want too.

“Look,” He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. I had to blink rapidly to make sure I wouldn’t faint. “Don’t take this the wrong way, but ever since you’ve boarded this ship all I’ve wanted to do was get rid of you. Even now, I wish you weren’t here at all. But listen,” he said as I opened my mouth to interrupt. “It’s not because of anything you’ve done. I… I’ve really… I like having you here. With me. But I wish you weren’t. But you are and I can’t change that now. When we dock tomorrow, nobody will come meet the ship to welcome back their loved ones. They can’t, even if they wanted too. Nobody knows we’ve left at all, and nobody can know. When we dock, it will be under the new moon and the blackness will hide us. We have a very important task to do, and nobody can know or will know until the right time.”