Chapter 6

([ dont forget to comment below!!])

VI

“Hoist the main sail!”

“Secure the ropes!”

“Raise the anochor!”

I heard these commands being shouted as I climbed up the rope ladder to the deck of the ship.

Henry climbed over the rail and turned around to help me on board. Heath climbed up after me and pulled the rope ladder up.

The deck of the ship was large and filled with life as the sailors bustled around, preparing the ship to leave.

“Oi! Heath’s back!” A large, grizzly man came up from behind us and embraced Heath in a suffocating embrace. “I’m supposing you got the list?” the large man said, whispering to Heath. Heath nodded and slightly opened his coat, revealing the scroll tucked inside.

The large man laughed and it seemed as if the ground was splitting open. He reached inside Heath’s coat and snatched the scroll. He raised it high above his head.

“Lookey ‘ere fellows, Heath’s come back with our redemption! Or our damnation.” He said the last part in a low whisper I barely caught through the rough shouts from the sailors.

Damnation, from a scroll? How on earth could that possibly be? And he still used my jewels to get the scroll, no matter what secrets it held.

The man in the crows nest cupped his hands around his mouth and called down, “That’s not all he’s brought back, ain’t that right miss?” I felt heat rush into my face and looked down at the wooden boards beneath my feet. The men cheered again, some hooting.

The large man laughed and patted my shoulder.

“It’s all right dear, they’re a bunch a momma’s boys, these lads. All talk and little action. Especially when is comes to lovely ladies such as yourself.” The crew denied this quite loudly.

“The name’s Kurt.” The large man placed his arm around my shoulders and led me away from the side of the boat. “And you are?”

“I’m—“ Henry gently stepped on my toes. Yes, I know. I had to use a false name, just incase Father sent somebody after Henry and I.

“My name is Tarryn.” I said, the name feeling foreign in my mouth. Kurt put his hand out. Did he want to shake my hand? I’ve never shaken a persons hand before because ladies don’t do that.

Cautiously, I put my hand in his. His fingers closed around mine and he jauntily pumped his arm up and down, shaking my whole body until I felt as if my bones were nothing but mush.

“A pleasure to meet you Tarryn.” He released my hand and bowed like a gentleman, looking quite graceful for a person of his size.

“Alright enough fooling around. This man and girl are going to be journeying with us for a while, so don’t forget your manners. Finish preparing to sail, I’d like to be out on open waters before dawn this time.” Heath barked and walked to the helm.

“Yes Your Majesty.” Kurt said, bowing low. The crew joined in the laughter. Heath’s expression was like stone, but then he relaces a bit and a small smile light up his face.

“All right love,” Kurt turned to Henry and I and led us to a doorway underneath the helm. We walked down a ladder and stood in a long room.

“This is where you’ll be sleepin’. Not even the King could boast of such fine quarters!” Kurt laughed again. Henry smile and said thank you.