Chapter 16

The next day we sailed along the coastline. Heath and Kurt were discussing what to do next. Henry and Tuck were busy making sure the crew was ready for the upcoming task. And I was left utterly alone. Nobody had time to even notice my existence. I could have stood in the middle of the deck naked, yet no one would have taken notice.

I tried to prepare for the adventure as well. I packed up my few things in a cloth and tied the ends together. I mended my petticoats and dress. I dusted my small little room. I ran around the deck a few times. I counted the birds that flew overhead. By noon, I had been sitting on the railing of the deck, legs hung over the side of the ship, staring at the coastline for over an hour. I had almost never been so bored in my life. Yet at the same time I couldn’t be too upset over it because for the first time in my life, something real was going to happen. Something bigger than me, or Henry, or the crew. And I was going to be able to take part in it.

“Port ho!”

The crew paused for a moment, then began to work at double time. Heath came out of the captains quarters, Kurt right behind him.

“Ho there lass!” Kurt called as he walked over to me. “ Do you want to give them sharks a buffet, or do you like temptin’ fate?” He motioned to me sitting precariously on the railing. I smiled.

“And how are you Kurt? Still making jokes I see?”

“Never quit lassie!” He bellowed his mightly laugh that seemed to make the seas quiver.

“Kurt, are we really going to be docking in Remagdala today?”

“Nay, not Remagdala. The captain has some… business to attend to first. Oh cheer up lass, you’ll see the beautiful shores of Remagdala soon enough. With her rolling green pastures, so ripe with fruits of the earth it’ll make your mouth water. And her mountains so high they live half in the heavens. And her women, so round and plump it’ll make your—“

“Ehem. Kurt why don’t you inform the crew we’ll be docking soon?” Heath quickly came over, a slight blush on his cheeks. Kurt smiled and nodded.

“A good day to ya lassie. Captain.”

“Goodbye Kurt!” I called after him.

“Do you like to attract danger?” Heath asked.

“You know, Kurt just asked me the same thing.”

“Well, I think you’ve added a bit too much danger to this voyage than I planned on.”

“Oh yes, well. It is my utmost responsibility to make men’s lives as miserable as possible. I think I do very well, considering.”

Heath raised his eyebrows. “I don’t want to be considering what you’d do once we reach land. That’s why I’ve planned to secure you a safe place to stay when we dock. The crew and I will be spending the night in the port too, finishing up a few details, then the next day I’ll make sure you’re where you’re supposed to be and I’ll be off.”

“Heath, I told you I’m going with you.” I stated.

“I thought I head you mention that before.” He smiled.

“So I’m going with you when you leave tomorrow.”

“I didn’t say that. Tarryn, you’re not coming with us.” Heath’s tone got serious.

“Heath, I know you’re worried about my safety and all but I’m fine, I can take care of myself. I was fine securing the ropes during the giant maelstrom. I even saved you!”

He shook his head. “That’s different. You were on the ship where everybody is trustworthy and honest and… and…”

“So what? Instead of being confined to a boat we’ll just be on land. Which I’m quite thrilled about because this ship has been getting smaller and smaller every day it seems like. I need to run around in the grass sometime soon or I think my legs will be shaky like the ocean forever!”

“You’re not going with us.”

“Heath—“ I started.

“NO!  Tarryn you are not going to go with us, do you hear me? You will stay where you are safe, at the port so when everything is over I can come get you in one piece alright?” Heath roared.

            “Of course I hear you, the whole ship can hear you!” I yelled back.

“You will stay in the village, you will not leave.”

“What’s the big deal? I can handle people, if that’s what you’re worried about. I can dress in my men’s uniform the entire time, nobody will know I’m a girl at all.” I suggested.

“No Tarryn, no. You are not going at all.”

“Why not? You say it’s dangerous and that something will happen to me. Well you know what? So many things have happened to me already and I’ve had to deal with them all alone. It’s not that Heath and we both know it. Why won’t you let me come?”

“Because.” He said, as if that solved everything.

I crossed my arms over my chest and stared at him.

“Because I can’t lose you.” He said quietly.

“Lose me? I’m not going anywhere.”

“You don’t get it, do you? The second I step off this ship and onto land, Relkin will know that I’m back. He has spies and people working for him everywhere. Leaving you in the village isn’t my choice, but I have to do it, for your safety. If Relkin finds that I’ve brought you along too, he’ll find you and use you to get to me, even if it means he’ll kill you doing it. And trust me, he will. You’re not safe anywhere you go, but at least I could get you out of Remagdala faster if you’re next to the ocean. You have to stay hidden. If you don’t Relkin will come for you. I can’t come back and find you gone. I can’t.”

I was silent. I saw how completely distressed Heath was over this. It made sense and was a good plan, if I were to hold up my end. But I still wanted to go with him. I didn’t like to see him so upset. So I told him the only thing he wanted to hear.

“Alright, I’ll stay.”

The lines on his face instantly relaxed and his eyebrows went back to being two instead of one.

“Thank you.” He said to me. Without breaking eye contact he took my hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it tenderly, before turning to attend to docking the ship.

[(AN: ok guys, so just fyi, the end is near! pleasepleasepleasePLEASE comment/vote, i love to get feedback. it motivates me to write. i wrote these last two pretty quickly (for me that is) so please give feedback. like i said, the end is really close. but im not going to peven write another chapter until i get 50 votes on this chapter. tough love, i know.)]