Chapter 9

[( ok so i guess ive been on a roll, one chapter up yesterday and a half up today. the story is getting more intense and way cooler things are going to happen soon, i promise! i have a great story in my head, it just takes a while to find the time to put it on paper. like always, leave thoughts and comments below please!)]

VIII

I was walking around the deck of the ship, my hair down. The breeze caught every strand of my hair and whipped it off my face. I smiled.

“Tarryn?”

I turned around and saw Heath. He looked shy and unsure. He just stood there, looking at his hands which were clasped. I started to walk to him, but it took forever. Every step I took he seemed to be getting farther away. I started running, desperately afraid. The sun was peaking on the horizon, sending bursts of fire across the early morning sky.

“Heath!” I yelled. A violent boom echoed across the open sea. The ship lurched savagely to the left, and I fell onto the deck. I stood up carefully.

Out of nowhere another ship was next to us, its crew spewing from its deck onto ours. The two crews clashed with each other, fighting. It was all a blur. It seemed as if I was just a single observer to a horrid play. Action was going on all round me as if time had slowed.

“Tarryn.” I heard Heath’s voice. I looked around, desperate to find him. I ran through the miniature battle, shoving people aside to find where the voice had come from.

“Tarryn.”

“Heath, where are you?” I yelled.

“Tarryn.”

“Heath!” my lungs felt as if they were to burst open. A pair of fighters bumped into me, knocking me backwards and into the railing. I got a full view of the water below, waiting to swallow me.

I turned away from the railing and into a man who was not fighting.

“Oh Heath!” I embraced him.

“Hello there, Colette.” That was not Heath’s voice.

I looked up, completely filled with horror. I leaned against the rail, unable to comprehend what was happening.

“Preston?”

He smiled, as poisonously as he always did.

Suddenly I was weightless. I saw Preston standing on deck as I fell into the churning water below. As I hit the water and sunk below its depths I saw Preston tilt his head back and laugh.

“Tarryn, Tarryn!”

“For God’s sake, somebody get another bucket of water!”

“No!” I cried, hoping that somebody would hear me. “No!”

I felt a blast of freezing water hit me, filling my mouth. Salt water. I immediately started gagging and sputtering water everywhere.

I could feel my hammock beneath me, hear the familiar creaking of the ship. But I couldn’t open my eyes.

When I finally had rid my mouth of the water I clutched my face, hoping to open my eyes.

“Tarryn, can you hear me?” It was Henry speaking. I tried to picture his face in my mind, but instantly Preston’s image filled my memory.

“No!” I cried again, and lashed out violently, trying to get rid of his picture. Something cool laid itself against my forehead.

“How is she?” I could hear Tuck, worry reverberating in his voice.