Chapter 8

[( ok so sorry that its taken me this long to post a chapter! i wrote half over my break but haven't had time until just about an hour ago to write. sorry its a short chapter, i promise it will get better! (and soon) as always please leave your comments and thoughts below!)]

VIII

“It’s a long story. Like I said, you’re not going to understand.” His gaze was directed on me to see how I would react. When I kept silent he began.

“I’m not… from here.” He said slowly.

I looked at him confused. “Aren’t we all from other places?”

“Yes, but I mean I’m not from where you live. I’m not from anywhere you can find on one of your maps. Either is the crew. Even the ship isn’t a ship built with your timber.”

My brow furrowed as I tried to make sense of what he was saying.

“I know you’re confused. I tried to tell you that this is too unbelievable to comprehend.”

As much as I regretted to admit it, he was right. It was too crazy. But he was finally opening up, the slight hiatus in his shell increasing into a crack. I had to keep him talking so maybe he wouldn’t retreat into his shell. I somewhat enjoyed our private talks.

“So if you’re not from my world, where are you from?”

He chuckled.

“You’ll see soon.”

I sighed annoyed. Obviously we weren’t getting far with this. I looked up at him. He laughed at my annoyance.

“You know, you’re actually kind of attractive when you’re annoyed. That is, if a man is into skinny little girls who would rather embroider a pillow than do real work.”

I crossed my arms and bit my lip to keep myself from lashing out at him. He just smiled his half smile. An attractive dimple formed in his left cheek. His face showed stubble from a day of not meeting a razor. His dark hair was slightly tousled and his green eyes seemed to glow in the moonlight.

Without thinking I sighed deeply. He caught me gazing at him and looked slightly alarmed at my glazed eyes.

I blinked once, twice, three times. What? No! No Colette, you absolutely cannot think of him that way. He is a pirate who sails ships all over the world – and apparently another one, a fact that I had yet to see proven – and goes to places not even the lowest city scum want to visit. And yet…

I slapped my face to get the impossible thoughts out of my head. This time he looked at me, worry etched clearly into his rugged face.

“Tarryn, are you all right?” I honestly could believe that deep down, he actually cared about me.

“Uh, yeah… I’m fine.” I tried to regain my composure. Heath gave me a disbelieveing look and nodded slowly, still looking alarmed.

“You still haven’t told me who you really are.” I said, still trying to distract myself from thinking about Heath’s appearance too much.

He gave me a sideglance and a half smile.

“I’ll make you a deal.” He said.

“A deal? I’m sorry to disappoint you but I don’t gamble.”

He chuckled. “I’m not gambling much. Think of it as… an exchange.”

I looked at him, slightly puzzled.

“Yes. An exchange. My story for yours.”

“What makes you think I have a story other than the one I already told you?”