Chapter 1- I don't know how book characters do it

"I'm not going." I groaned, burying my face in my pillow. Ann sighed and pulled my covers off me.

"But today's the day! We're gonna start our journey to become real adults!" She insists, trying to pull me out of bed.

"Don't pull that crap on me." I turned away from her, making my body as limp as possible so I was a deadweight in her arms. I preferred looking at the wall instead of the bright sunshine streaming into my room and my sister's grinning face. Unfortunately, she leaned over me, her hazel eyes almost identical to mine aside from the fact they were sparkling with mischief. At least, I think it was mischief. I'm not so good at the whole 'reading people's eyes' thing. I don't know how book characters do it.

"No swearing, remember." She said, earning a swat from me. She wrinkled her nose and finally moved away from me. "Grumpy pants."

"You're so childish." I teased. "Maybe if you weren't my sister, I'd find it less annoying."

"Y'know, we are identical twins." She said cheekily before disappearing into the hall. Knowing her, she was probably going to go eat all my food. Either that, or hog the washroom.

As soon as she was out of the room, I sat up, yawning, and took in my room. A few blinks helped me sweep the sleep from my mind as I spent a minute basking in the sun. As always, I was glad me and my sister didn't share a room. While her's was covered in pink and white, mine was a peaceful blue and grey. I don't think I could stand opening my eyes just to be blinded by sparkles every morning.

I went through my morning like it was completely normal, even though it obviously wasn't. You know, the Journey and all that going today. About to be away from my family for months. My whole life about to be thrown upside down. Yup, totally normal. Oh, and to add to the normality and obvious boringness, I had no idea where I would even be and what would happen there.

I forced a smile onto my face as I went downstairs, where I found my family sitting at the table. We never usually ate breakfast together, since everyone in town was encouraged to give their children as much freedom as possible, but of course it was a special occasion.

"So..." I started after getting a bowl of dry cereal, uncomfortable with the silence. "What's the plan for today?"

"Eat and head to the town centre." My mum replied with a smile, eating her toast as my dad read the paper. I waited for someone to continue the conversation, or at the very least start a new one, but of course 'silence is golden'. One of the big town rules. Silence was supposed to make us more mature, let us think more, yet for me that seemed, well, stupid. Making conversation wasn't going to kill us. It would certainly make me less anxious for today.

Finishing my breakfast seemed to take a million years. Then I had to wait another million for my family to get ready to go. I waited in the bathroom, staring at myself in the mirror and mentally prepping myself as I ran my fingers through my golden brown hair. Lucky socks, check. Comfortable clothes, check. Mental stability? Hopefully.

I sighed for the hundredth time that morning (though I exaggerate a lot, if you haven't noticed) and peeled my eyes away from the mirror as my sister called for me from the front door. I didn't consider myself vain, but my sister always complained that I spent way too much time in front of the mirror. At least I'm not the one hogging the bathroom as I make myself look pretty. I just like to contemplate life and wallow in self pity as I look at my reflection. Perfectly sensible way to spend ones time.