Chapter 2- Ready

I was starting to have second thoughts about being ready.

As soon as we walked into the building, we saw the entire town gathering there, from people not ready to let their children go just yet, to people to just wanted to be there on this big occasion. Since the town wasn't too big, everyone got together during special times. And, unfortunately for me, this was one of those times.

"Ann, Kayla, you two have to head up to the balcony." That was my father, appearing behind me. He came in front of us to wrap us in a hug, looking like he was about to cry. He was such a softie, it made me laugh sometimes.

"There's something I need to tell you about the Journey, something your mother didn't want be saying." He whispered next to our ears, leaning down a bit. "Beware of-"

"Darling, stop hogging the goodbyes." My mum berated teasingly. My dad immediately flinched away, plastering a smile on his face that was a big contrast to the grim tone he'd had before. Me and my sister exchanged confused looks, but our mum was already hugging us now and placing kisses on our heads as we tried to squirm away and our dad caged us in on the other side. Back to normal parent stuff, apparently.

"Stay safe, girls." Our mum smiled lovingly at us, making me wonder what she was keeping hidden behind that smile. What was it that she didn't want our dad to tell us?

"Come on, Kayla! Don't zone out again!" I blinked at Ann, confused, as she rolled her eyes. "We have to head up to the balcony for the mayor's speech."

She grabbed my arm and pulled me away as I waved half heartedly to our parents. Apparently she was much more excited about leaving than I was.

As soon as we were heading up the stairs and I couldn't see them anymore, the reality sunk in. I wouldn't be seeing them for months. Had I been a few years younger, I would have turned into a blubbering mess, but now that I was 13 years old and almost an adult, I had to put up an indifferent facade. Sure I was sad to be leaving them, but when I would come back from the Journey, they would treat me just like they treated everyone else. Hopefully they would buy me some candy too.

I stumbled a bit as we reached the top of the stairs, where about forty kids my age milled around. I knew about half (which seems a bit much for an introverted hermit) but Ann was immediately greeting everyone. Cliche popular girl stuff, not really for me.

I pushed my way over to the wall, stiffening when someone grabbed my arm. I relaxed as I saw a familiar face- One year older than me and looking almost cold if I hadn't seen her small smile and animated eyes.

"Kayla," She said, pulling me over to the railing and away from my isolated destination. "You're late!"

"I'm not late, Danielle. You're just early."

"Psh, at least you're here now. We have stuff to talk about!"

"What? Cats? The rules of life? Your newest crush?" I asked, trying to look involved in the conversation as I peered over the railing to the crowd of older people down below. I couldn't see my parents, but I saw the mayor walking up to the podium on the stage. I'd seen this part of the ceremony before- the mayor would give a quick speech, we'd watch the clip we watched every year that had been recorded by the founder of the Journey, a great creator. Then we'd finally leave to who knows where.

"No you dunderhead. I have no crush, and we already know the rules of life. Sometimes you really deserve a level 3 punishment." Danielle hissed quietly as the mayor started her speech.

"Hey, you know, now's a great time to not leave the town without killing someone. Preferably you."

"We're not gonna kill your sister instead?" I sighed at her whisper. For some reason, Danielle really hated Ann. She wouldn't explain, simply dishing out insults behind her back and complaining about her whenever she had the chance.