Chapter 6- Rawr

If I was standing, I would have fallen to the ground. Already sitting, my body had settled with wide eyes and an open mouth. The slight pain in my head was nothing compared to the shock that someone was speaking to me inside my head- most likely the hacker.

My mind immediately went into panic mode. Could they read my thoughts? Did they know I had a fear of the dark? Did they know I didn't like my parents? Did they know I had a crush on-

"Kayla! What's wrong?" Sim asked urgently, shaking my shoulders. Everyone was still sitting where they were- everything was normal.

Other than the fact that I had a fear of people reading my mind. I always felt as if someone was in my head, as if that friendly look they were giving me was a judgemental one because they knew I was secretly thinking of shoving chocolate into my face during the nutrition portion of health class.

"I-I'm fine." I said. "I need to go take a walk."

Before they could protest, I jumped to my feet and rushed off. I didn't really know where I was going, I was just trying to calm my rushed thoughts and fast beating heart.

Which is why I nearly tripped over the tent.

"What are you doing here?" Andrew snapped, sitting in the entrance. Despite only having met him an hour ago, he seemed to be quite unhappy to see me. Was it just because of the toilet comment?

"Walking." I replied, just as coldly.

"I thought you were off eating blueberries and making flower crowns with Jess and your other friends." He said.

"I was... Wait, how'd you know about the blueberries?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows. "I thought you went to go throw a tantrum."

"I could hear you from here."

"Good. At least you aren't a eavesdropping creep."

Andrew huffed, getting to his feet and stretching his arms. "So, why're you walking away from all your friends?"

"Different reasons than why I'm walking away from you. You're just plain annoying." I said, only half joking as I smiled slightly at my own humour. (Which isn't weird. I find myself quite funny.)

"Come on, tell me. Maybe I'll give you some food."

"Why're you so curious?"

"Answer my question and I'll answer yours."

"I've been sent on a big mission by a hacker that's apparently really important." I said bluntly.

As I expected, he laughed. "A hacker? The scientists aren't that bad."

"They are, actually. I'm not joking." I wanted smack myself over the head. Now where had that part come from? I was supposed to let him think it was a joke!

He must've read my mind or something (plot twist- he's the hacker), because he went from lighthearted to serious. "What's the mission?"

I stayed silent for a minute. It really wouldn't be bad to tell him- he was a rich kid, he could help me. And I really wanted to spill the story to someone- I hated not having anyone to talk to about it.

"There's a hacker that wants me to stop the meeting of leaders for my own part of the world and they've made it sound really important and also they may or may not be able to speak in my head." I blurted out before I could think about it any longer.

"Wow. It's only day 2, Kayla." Andrew said after a small pause to process what I'd said.

"Really? That's your only comment?"